protecting stainless steel billy can

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
I keep reading how open fires destroy billy cans.

I heard the only way to protect them is to cover the outside with a soap powder and water paste before cooking with it.

However i've NEVER come across soap powder!(lack of household duties hehehe). However all i found at home was soda crystals and Ariel cloth washing powder? are these the same?

advice much appricieated

I used to years ago after a mate in the forces told me it was good, used ordinary soap, made into a paste and rubbed on my mess tins. You could cook with them in a fire and all that soot and tar stuck to the soap which could then easily wash off. To be honest, why bother with all that, the black coating adds character and if you are really fussed, some really fine steel wool/green scourer will remove the gunk with elbow grease.

WS

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
When I was a girl guide (rather a long time ago :eek: ) we used to smear the billy cans with washing up liquid before putting them on the fire so they'd wash clean. Nowadays I have to admit that I just let them go black ... it adds character!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I want a nice black patina on my billes - but every time I come back from a trip the kitchen faries clean them to a high shine!:rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They called it "Tide Paste" in my day (when you could still but Tide washing powder).

Stupid idea - let go black, Wash the loose stuff off at the end of the trip (chuck it in the dishwasher and be done)

Red

When I was a girl guide (rather a long time ago :eek: ) we used to smear the billy cans with washing up liquid before putting them on the fire so they'd wash clean. Nowadays I have to admit that I just let them go black ... it adds character!

As stated, when I was a young boy scout we were made to clean the old billies to a high shine with brillo pads (it took all morning & most of the skin off my fingers). We were then instructed that smearing the outside of the billies with washing up liquid was the best thing to do (when we arrived at camp). We then used the billies cooking over fires for the next week and at the end of the week the billies did wash much easier...

BUT, you mustn't make too much contact with the outside of the billy in between times otherwise the soap & soot / tar will rub off onto you !!

I don't bother any more, I like the black patina - it proves the kit gets used (otherwise everyone will thing you're just a kit junkie with no experience).:D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Providing you don't let it burn dry there is no way you will destroy a SS billy can.

Even if it does burn dry you've got to get it VERY hot to damage it.

Aly cans are a bit easier to knacker but still impossible if there is liquid in them.

The soap trick is just to stop tar building up on the outside but that doesn't bother me and may even improve heat performance.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
If it's kit that lives inside my rucksack I'll give it a scrub between outings, but usually I'll leave it black. Never tried the soap trick, hot water and a brillo-pad do me.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
Well Pang,

What do you think of all this good advice?

If you are worried about the billy making other stuff in your pack sooty just wrap it in a tea towel or bit of old cloth or have a dedicated pouch

all of this is very good advice! and thank you all. Although you guys/girls all have good points about letting it go black, i still want to keep my pots and pans prestian, must be my experience in the kitchens hahaha.

Still i dont think anyone can say they dont like a nice and shiney pot rather then a greasy one. i know which one i prefer eating out of.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
As stated, when I was a young boy scout we were made to clean the old billies to a high shine with brillo pads (it took all morning & most of the skin off my fingers). We were then instructed that smearing the outside of the billies with washing up liquid was the best thing to do (when we arrived at camp). We then used the billies cooking over fires for the next week and at the end of the week the billies did wash much easier...

BUT, you mustn't make too much contact with the outside of the billy in between times otherwise the soap & soot / tar will rub off onto you !!

I don't bother any more, I like the black patina - it proves the kit gets used (otherwise everyone will thing you're just a kit junkie with no experience).:D

Did you say" Kit Junkie"???
:theyareon :theyareon :theyareon :yelrotflm

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
On a practical note -

• Shiney surfaces reflect heat away so take longer to heat up and use more fuel.
  • Dark surfaces absorb heat better so in theory food should cook faster, using less fuel.

No I've never done a full scientific comparison of this but the theory is sound!

I'm with Wayland on this, outside of pan soot black but the inside is spotless - I'd even say you could eat your dinner off it! :D

The billy never comes into contact with other gear as it packs up inside the Hobo stove (thanks for the design Wayland) and is kept in a stuff sac.

Simon

EDIT:
When the Scouts saw my billy they all told me to wash it - so some things never change! When I mentioned the above, the Scout Leader thanked me for sharing this valuable info -NOT!
:lmao:

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
On a practical note -

• Shiney surfaces reflect heat away so take longer to heat up and use more fuel.
  • Dark surfaces absorb heat better so in theory food should cook faster, using less fuel.

No I've never done a full scientific comparison of this but the theory is sound!

I'm with Wayland on this, outside of pan soot black but the inside is spotless - I'd even say you could eat your dinner off it! :D

The billy never comes into contact with other gear as it packs up inside the Hobo stove (thanks for the design Wayland) and is kept in a stuff sac.

Simon

EDIT:
When the Scouts saw my billy they all told me to wash it - so some things never change! When I mentioned the above, the Scout Leader thanked me for sharing this valuable info -NOT!

Tell him you read it in Bill Mason's Book "Song of the paddle" , were Bill feels the same way as Wayland, myself and others. Then prepare to be pealing spuds for insubordination.. lol

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
all of this is very good advice! and thank you all. Although you guys/girls all have good points about letting it go black, i still want to keep my pots and pans prestian, must be my experience in the kitchens hahaha.

Still i dont think anyone can say they dont like a nice and shiney pot rather then a greasy one. i know which one i prefer eating out of.

Pang, you are just ignoring tips which work mate. I clean the inside of my pans (most are aluminium) and just wipe over the outer. I take a couple of supermarket carrier bags to pack them in which will keep the kit the pans are in contact with clean.

If you want sparkling pots then take a 20 pack of scouring pads (50p from Iceland) and a small container of of cream cleaner and you are set.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nah, If you really want sparkling pots you can do what I do on the inside to the outside too.

If you have a fire add some ash and water to your pan.

Ash + water = alkali + gritty silica

alkali + fat = soap

soap + gritty silica + slight scrub = clean pan.

when you have washed the pan pour the water into the fireplace, this area has already been affected by the alkali.

Rinse with water and again pour it into the fireplace.

On the next rinse you can pour the water away elsewhere but not into the water source.

All too often I have seen people washing pans directly in streams or lakes only to pour the dirty water back into the clean source.

Always throw the water well back onto the land, this way the ground can filter out the organic materials, reducing contamination of your source water.

For a final rinse use clean drinking water or boil the water in the pan.

No Brillo with detergents for me but I still say it's a waste of time on the outside..... :rolleyes: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE