Propagating my basket willow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I have a small plantation of almond willow (black maul) salix triandra that I'm told is the best willow for weaving. It's not as quick growing as some of the other varieties I have here and the 16 plants in the plantation won't produce enough to make many baskets. They have to be trimmed every year to make them produce the straight shoots needed so I cut them all down and into short lengths:

20170220_105641.jpg

I stuck these into the ground in an area that I mulched with fabric, logs and woodchip a few months ago. I've run out of bamboo canes and have to order more spirals. Counted one of the 3 rows and there were 49 rods planted. I ran out before I completely finished the 3rd row so I estimate there are about 120 plants in. Should take a couple of years to produce anything useable but when it does expect me to be posting my efforts on here!

20170220_122714.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hah ! it'll surprise you. Eight foot wands will grow from those wee stools in a good Summer with enough water around.

I am frankly envious of the space to grow :D Lovely to see and read what you've been up to on the land you have.

M

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I hope they will in a few years but almond willow apparently does take a couple of years to get established. The osier I have elsewhere puts on about 12' of growth over a summer - it's astonishing. This area should be reasonably damp (you can see from the rushes in the background) and there are many springs about. It's almost impassable in places so they might help to soak up some water. Planning on greatly enlarging one of my ponds soon to improve drainage elsewhere and provide a pleasant setting for wildlife (and aesthetics). It is nice having the space - not sure how people cope with larger amounts! I hope I'll be leaving it in a better state than when we bought it, certainly more trees anyway.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
There were plenty of rabbit droppings on top of the mulch when I planted this morning. They will just nibble the bark - I've lost quite a bit of willow because of that. I actually had to pay for the original trees so they're a bit more precious to me than the ones I just propagated for free. It's lovely stuff, almond willow, leaves are beautiful and it's amazingly flexible

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ah. Evidence! Here, it's the mice that will get under the snow (like an igloo) and ring the fruit trees over the winter.

My brother was taught to make willow baskets.
So, he make a great boat of a thing to use as a fruit basket on the kitchen counter.
Very nice until all the little lateral buds began to sprout!! The basket leafed out!

Is there a cure for that?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The willow should be dried first and then soaked before weaving. I suppose it depends when it was harvested. If it is cut in the winter and dried before it has a chance to bud you should be OK but in spring it's potent stuff

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks. Recall it was midsummer. The only time of year when this group meets up.
Just stripped the leaves and went at it. The sprouting was the last thing anyone expected!

Much of that craft is really elegant.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you want to do it in Summer then you really need to strip the bark and just use the inner wood. It's inclined to crack at that time of year, but it'll still make a basket, or a fish trap.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE