Problems with Coleman Peak Feather stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
Bought one of these second hand to play with and my mate did too.

On the first meal cooked with his there was flames coming out of the burner unit - a bit worrying.

When I was using my one for no apparent reason it just stopped working. When I repressurised it fuel didn't come out of the top burner but was P***ing out of the joint between the burner and the fuel.

Wouldn't relight, a bit concerned about the reliability / safety, nothing like that happened with my MSR stove.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
Sounds like youy may have a problem with the seal ... What fuel were you using?
These will only work with unleaded petrol or Coleman fuel. A similar thing happened to my mate when he put kerosene in. Other fuels don't burn clean enough and very quickly block the generator, through which the fine spring that actions the on/off lever passes. If you continue to use with a soot filled generaor you'll most likely snap or stretch the spring. You can try cleaning out with a few drops of Redex which may unblock the generator.
I've used these stoves for years and only occasionally had a problem.. The best & most reliable of all the Colmans for camping is the double burner.
If you can't resolve it you may need to get the stove serviced.. The Tackle box in Kent does this, but often costs as much as a new stove.
cheers
Gareth

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Bought one of these second hand to play with and my mate did too.

On the first meal cooked with his there was flames coming out of the burner unit - a bit worrying.

When I was using my one for no apparent reason it just stopped working. When I repressurised it fuel didn't come out of the top burner but was P***ing out of the joint between the burner and the fuel.

Wouldn't relight, a bit concerned about the reliability / safety, nothing like that happened with my MSR stove.

Hi,

Is the stove one of these?

product_81167.jpg

If so I'd suggest you get a new generator tube for it and replace the existing one.

Running the stove on white gasoline will help to prolong the life of the generator.

This type of peak stove is actually very good and generally runs fuss free. If it has a few problems it is that it's a bit heavy and the generator clogs up pretty quickly if you run it on automotive petrol IME.

I like mine as it puts out a good bit of heat, has good flame control and a very good simmer and is quiet in operation.

HTH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE