Problems Sharpening an EKA superswede

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
im using spyderco ceramics, diamond hones and strops coated in fine carborundum powder, all this kit easily puts a shaving edge on my carbon scandis but i cant seem to get my sabre ground eka superswede shaving sharp.

the eka is 12c27 steel, with a flat sabre grind of around 15 degrees and a secondary bevel of about 30, im not entirely sure why its not getting sharp but im considering just re profiling the grind and making it a convex. does anyone have any ideas, tips or similar experience?

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Don't know mate. I have found 12c27 really easy to sharpen and my Swede 8 was no different. It had a different grind to yours though. What I've noticed with 12c27 is it doesn't feel sharp even when it is, if you know what I mean.

The only other idea I have is you may be missing the secondary and only hitting the Sabre?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Was it ever sharp?

And what's the edge like once you've had a go getting it sharp, does it crumble, is it shiny, is it rough or smooth?

I've only heard good stuff about 12c27, mainly it being easy to maintain and yet sharp.. So there's a possibility you've got a bad heat treat, or a bit of user error? I can't comment really but I'm sure youre more than capable of getting a knife decently sharp!

Give the convex a go, and some pictures if possible!

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Are you working on one side at a time until you feel a burr coming up?
It's not an ideal way to work, but when I struggle I keep going until I get a burr, then do the other side. Then alternate strokes until there is no burr.

You could get a magnifying glass to check the edge. It sounds like your not all the way down to the edge yet. Maybe the knife was a more obtuse angle before you started.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
im using spyderco ceramics, diamond hones and strops coated in fine carborundum powder, all this kit easily puts a shaving edge on my carbon scandis but i cant seem to get my sabre ground eka superswede shaving sharp.

the eka is 12c27 steel, with a flat sabre grind of around 15 degrees and a secondary bevel of about 30, im not entirely sure why its not getting sharp but im considering just re profiling the grind and making it a convex. does anyone have any ideas, tips or similar experience?

Did you get the Super Swede new? I somehow doubt it because I think it's probably older than you are! Mine here on the table is over twenty-five years old.

If the blade has been badly treated (for example overheated by grinding) then that might explain it, but otherwise I can only suggest experimenting. SWMBO and I have literally dozens of blades in 12C27, I like it a lot and I've never had trouble with it.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
its the 92, so im guessing its nearly as old as me. im sharpening it in the same way i would sharpen any other knife, and ive always kept them shaving sharp. ive had issues with sabre grinds before though. the knife is sharp now i have done some work, but i cant get it as sharp as id like, may have to convex it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE