Problem Mink

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have a problem with Mink getting aboard a boat. Now it's been in a few times, it is persistent, finding gaps that you wouldn't think a rat could fit through.

Don't have access to a firearm (or time to sit out waiting for the mink).

Is it legal to trap Mink, if so, how and where would I get traps from?

Cliv

Forager
Nov 15, 2008
Preston
I don't think Minks are protected they are not a native species, be sure its not an otter though as they are. Mink traps are available on the web should be around 30 or 40 pounds, you can also get raft traps on loan from the waterboard

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks for that info, Cliv. The river this is on is the Yorkshire Ouse, I'll try contacting the waterboard.

It's definitely not an otter. Stinking black tarry poop with that distinctive musky aroma. It's also getting in through 2.5-3" gaps.

A trap could be put on my boat - the otters would go on the pontoons but never the boats so that would ensure it was the mink trapped.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Perfectly legal to trap Mink, you can get a live capture trap at any half decent country supplies place, i have about a dozen traps set up at the lakes at any one time, best bait ive found to go i there is a tin of the cheapest tuna you can find, but only pierce holes in the lid, that way the smell escapes and attracts the Mink in and you dont have to keep rebaiting.

You will also you need to de scent the trap to get rid of any human scents, best way, is tie a rope to the trap and throw it over board for a week, this gets rid of any scents on it from manufacture and handling, then when you are ready to set it, wear a pair of latex gloves so you dont contaminate it, then when you have caught the thing, you need to dispose of it, i find a .22 pellet at close range works really well - dont throw the pelt away though, keep it and make something from it, i know you said you dont have a gun, but do you know anyone who has who could do the deed for you?

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Hmm - not really.

I'll talk to my landlords, see if the local gamekeeper wants to trap it. There is a nearby wood used for pheasants and someone manages that.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Mink are a real destructive animal. The parents of a friend of a friend had a canal boat that got trashed by a pair of mink. People saw them go in and out after 30 minutes. The bill to repair the damage was £20k!!!! Seen mink on the side of the River Lune at Halton before now. Lots south of Lancaster I believe. The story I heard was that there was a mink fur farm near Garstang that got raided by Animal libbers. They set the mink free and they've been a problem ever since. Guess that is the usual myth concerning mink origins so could be wrong here.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Your local gamekeeper should handle it. Or mention it to the secretary of the nearest fishing club with rights on that stretch of the river. And they'll get someone onto it.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Or mention it to the secretary of the nearest fishing club with rights on that stretch of the river. And they'll get someone onto it.

Unless it's a solitary Dog Mink, we leave those be as they keep all of the other Mink out.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Blimey you must have a keen eye Mark. I think mine would probably shoot/trap any Mink they saw.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Im the only one authorised to do any trapping up there and one of three people allowed to shoot up there, 99.9% of the members, dont even know where the traps are

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I see. I know theyre nasty little blighters but I quite like em as theyre bold as brass.
I've had them sitting within six feet of me when stalking brownies. [Mobile phone camera]

MinkAire.jpg

2011-07-14170315-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Great pics, like you say they are bold as brass, i have had them run between my feet and the keep net when ive been fishing before, totally unphased as to my presence, mind you,when i sort the mink traps i wear welders gauntlets as they are vicious little gits and like any animal, even more so when cornered.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh I can imagine. I once watched a kingfisher repeatedly dive bombing one right in front of me. :D Which was funny. The mink kept trying to jump up and bite it, but never got close. Otters kill them if they meet though dont they?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
There have been reports of Otters killing Mink, i think Wales in particular the Mink population is at the lowest it's been, since the nimby's released the Mink into the wild and it coincides with an increase in the Otter population, of course the other benefit to less Mink, is more Water Voles.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
There have been reports of Otters killing Mink, i think Wales in particular the Mink population is at the lowest it's been, since the nimby's released the Mink into the wild and it coincides with an increase in the Otter population, of course the other benefit to less Mink, is more Water Voles.

There's been several bodies of mink with missing genitalia found. Otters will hound out the mink as well as rival otters. A favoured method of attack is from underneath the water and hitting into a surface swimming rival and 'aiming for the balls'. Death is usual by drowning as the victim gasps with shock whilst being dragged under.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
A favoured method of attack is from underneath the water and hitting into a surface swimming rival and 'aiming for the balls'. Death is usual by drowning as the victim gasps with shock whilst being dragged under.

Bloody Ell. They dont mess about do they? I once saw a massive dog otter, when I was wading. Very close to me. It must have been 4 feet long. Next time I'll take my old cricket box

mudgutz

Jan 26, 2013
Staffordshire moorlands.
Ordered a trap. Nearly caught mink today - it had found a tiny gap (2" square) to get through. It was on the boat when I got there.

Has it arrived yet? When you set it cover it up making sure the door works OK and place a piece of piping leading into it. Some old guttering will do.Mink are like ferrets and cannot resist a dark hole to investigate.;)

Good luck.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE