Primitive traps.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
No, actually I wasn't thinking of copy rights at all!

I was about to comment on a couple of the designs, point out some caveats about proportions, then thought that it might be impolitic if they were your own drawings! :poke:

Some years ago Stuart started writing a book about traps and trapping. It was quite a challenge to find someone to do the illustrations. From his research and practice making traps Stuart said that he found many traps as shown in books did not work, or the illustration didn't accurately capture the mode of operation, or the necessary proportions. Seemed like a case where one wanted illustrations to communicate to a wide audience, but really needed technical drawings to capture the actual dimensions and layouts.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No, actually I wasn't thinking of copy rights at all!

I was about to comment on a couple of the designs, point out some caveats about proportions, then thought that it might be impolitic if they were your own drawings! :poke:

Some years ago Stuart started writing a book about traps and trapping. It was quite a challenge to find someone to do the illustrations. From his research and practice making traps Stuart said that he found many traps as shown in books did not work, or the illustration didn't accurately capture the mode of operation, or the necessary proportions. Seemed like a case where one wanted illustrations to communicate to a wide audience, but really needed technical drawings to capture the actual dimensions and layouts.

Lol!!

I started to think there was an underhanded compliment in there somewhere.. Then I realised I was very very wrong. :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I doubt I could have drawn them better, certainly not with the level of texturing that you have used. They are good drawings!!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Looks like a grand opportunity to practice on the neighbor's cat or my own.
I see theirs hunting quite successfully at the far end of my garden.

I have a copy of Ellsworth Jaeger's volume: Wildwood Wisdom.
Of the great diversity of chapter titles, trapping is not one of them. Not even the word 'trap' in the index at the back of the book!

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
sometimes live traps must be needed and used to help injured animals get much needed veterinary attention

or

to figure out population numbers for specific animals-species to see if they are in decline or non in decline etcetera

or

move overpopulated or nuisance critters to a more viable location best suited for them

thereby live traps are a must in certain and humane practices

contra for popular belief here in the UK we do non have to trap for food meaning there be non-necessity

corporate greed and their lies to folk means that concrete-jungles are built on the natural habitat of many critters, yet if we were spread out more then it would be less of an issue for all and then critters would not be perceived as nuisances by any stretch of the imagination

is it a skill that should be taught and mastered...??

absolutely, as stewards of the land we must learn all ancient-crafts our forebears used that will help wildlife, nature and-such to survive as best we and they can

there are ways to test traps without the use of any animal, thus it be prudent to seek that knowledge for your intended humane trap

coming back to food

all i: hear is hunt this kill that trap this trap that etcetera

i: often see or hear or watch or listen to folk while bushcrafting refer to foraging for teas and not foraging for main food itself as they take food in with them

what happens when their take-in food runs out and they get stuck, they most likely have ye olde mindset for kill innocent animals rather than pick what is growing naturally around them in-season

many of us here know about foraging food some are just starting some are more advanced and some somewhere in between, yet these and many true life skills must without exception be properly taught in schools and adult learning centres and-such so everyone will have the correct skills to move forward on their journey of life

not once do i: see or hear or watch or listen of any-one who bushcraft and sown their own seeds to grow their own food in their chosen long-term bushcraft camp or look what plant life there is to eat and or herbs for flavour and medicinal and survival or in general

who will be the first...??

when i: locate viable land for long-term bushcraft that is what i: will doing thus i: will

forage the chosen land for long-term bushcraft for edible and medicinal plant life

and

sowing seeds for food [maybe look into the "square foot gardening"] side of things to minimise footprint

i: will have non reason to hunt and kill innocent animals for survival or food in general

for clarification i: do eat meat thereby i: am not a vegetarian and-such

Last edited:

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I was thinking about doing some examples ( as much for my own learning as showing ) of Primitive type traps - Figure four , Piaute, Ojibwa bird trap , treadle trap etc etc.

But I also realised even if it was only for entertainment/education I was concerned how others - here , may react to it? It seems most of us in the Bushcrafty world accept the occasional crossover into fishing/hunting and will tolerate ( mostly ) the odd photo of a shot and butchered Pigeon etc but I'm not sure how much that tolerance extends to snaring and deadfalls etc ( even when legal guidelines are followed ) .

So is Trapping something people here in the UK consider to potentially be an acceptable practical skill associated with Bushcraft?
Pegged rabbit snares along tractor tracks in grown wheat fields are brutally effective the runs are ready made , befriend a farmer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE