Primative Bows

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ross Bowyer

Apr 29, 2004
kendal
Hi There,
I have heard from a friend that C Claycomb was doing a bow demo at the NEC. this is a subject i am really interested and was wondering if you teach bow making or have been on any courses that you would recommend?
Cheers
Grey Owl
: -l)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hi Greyowl,
Yeah, I was at the NEC talking bows. Just basic stuff, doing my "bit" to incourage bushcraft :-D

I would never say that I was all that knowledgable about bow making. I have made a few, more than a dozen, but less than 20. I used to hang out at the Leatherwall and there were people on there who had literally made hundreds of bows. They really knew their stuff. I learned a lot from there, and from the Traditional Bowyer's Bibles. Great books, I would say they are a definitive guide to bow making.

I am going to be having a try at teaching a couple of people to make bows this summer. Just one on one, and see how things go. You don't have to be an expert to teach the basics, just so long as the person you are teaching understands you have limitations :)

I am afraid that I haven't been on any courses. I spoke with Juha when I was on my Woodlore course and the bow making that they do as part of the Primitive Technology course sounded good. They make bows patterned on prehistoric Eurpean designs and those used Eastern woodland indians. The course is expensive though. If bow making was your sole interest, and you had that money to spend, I would think about making a trip to the US (if you REALLY want to go on a course, and have the money to burn :-D ). People like Jim Hamm and (possibly) Dean Torges used to run courses on just bow making. There are also great gatherings of traditional bow makers and archers, such as the MO Bow Jamboree.

The way I see it, a course cost money, but saves time. You can learn all the course might teach by getting good books, reading on the Web, and practicing. It just might take longer that way :lol:

A final word of warning. BEWARE! BOW MAKING CAN BE ADDICTIVE :rolmao:

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
If you fancy making a traditional English longbow you could do a lot worse than the course the greenwood Trust in Ironbridge run:

http://www.greenwoodtrust.org.uk/

With a bit of skill and a bit of luck you will come away from the 3 days with a seriously scary ash bow.
I did the couse last summer and it was £150 well spent, a really good weekend at a really valuable organisation
Cheers
David

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Hi Greyowl

I have done the Woodlore Prim Tech, and the bowmaking is a good part of it (although 3 days of scraping did take it's toll - especially when my bow turned out to be a girls bow and I was hoping for something closer to 70/90lb draw)

The course is expensive, but you do get to do plenty of other stuff.

If you go on the Woodlore site, you will see a contact number for Chris Boyton (who teaches the bow making part of the course). He runs 1 on 1 sessions which are quite reasonably priced considering you can pick his brains for 2 days.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi Greyowl,

It might be abit out of your way but Wild-Live in Northern Ireland do both a survival and permanent bow making course and they are pretty reasonable.

www.wild-liveschool.com

I have done either of the course but I am doing the primitive living 1 course in 6 weeks time and I have found Anthonio very professional to deal with.

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE