Pressure Canner Supplier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
I've been looking for one of these to really start my ability to preserve my home grow stuff. I did find one UK supplier but after 'adding to cart' they then emailed to inform me they could no longer sell the item due to EU regs or some such.

I have looked on eBay and there's not shortage of sellers in the US. My question is can anyone recommend a seller there or even one based here in the UK?

Any help would be appreciated as I want this asap, ready for this seasons overflow. Hoping there will be some of course :)

Same goes for jars and all the other gubbings. I'd rather spend my money somewhere that I know is a good source rather than randomly choosing one from the countless sites out there.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If its a reliable supplier you are after, you won't do much better than Sears (and they ship internationally)

http://www.sears.com/search=canner?...t=true&viewItems=50&redirectType=CAT_REC_PRED

You can use the Kilner jars with two part lids for canning (I do all the time) but get spare lids in bulk from the US. Standardise on "regular mouth" rather than "wide mouth" jars and buy 500 or more at a time for the best price.

You can of course water bath can with a large saucepan and the right type of jars. If you do, I heartily recommend this canning rack

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Norpro-604-...QAAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398937386&sr=8-1

Any questions, just ask :)

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
If its a reliable supplier you are after, you won't do much better than Sears (and they ship internationally)

http://www.sears.com/search=canner?...t=true&viewItems=50&redirectType=CAT_REC_PRED

You can use the Kilner jars with two part lids for canning (I do all the time) but get spare lids in bulk from the US. Standardise on "regular mouth" rather than "wide mouth" jars and buy 500 or more at a time for the best price.

You can of course water bath can with a large saucepan and the right type of jars. If you do, I heartily recommend this canning rack

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Norpro-604-...QAAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398937386&sr=8-1

Any questions, just ask :)

That's fantastic, thanks. :)

I've been meaning to get one for nearly two years now but can't put it off any longer simply because it's a no brainer in terms of food storage.

I've looked at the Presto 23 Qt. Pressure Cooker/Canner but do actually have a question about the gauge on it. Is this something that will need calibrating regulary and if so how would you do that? I had a quick look and saw that it can be done for you but I'd like to be able to do it myself, if possible.

With regards to the lids is there any particular seller/supplier you'd recommend for those, same with the jars?

I really can't wait to get started with this. I make all my own sauces, paste etc etc and now want to see cupboards full of my own creations.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't calibrate the gauge yearly - you need an industrial instrument supplier to do that really. However if the reading on the gauge matches the "jiggle" point of the weight, it can't be far off.

I use an "All American" canner as it doesn't need seals which perish every few years. Its more expensive but a top product. You can find them cheaper on Ebay with import duty paid (thats what I did).

Ebay and Amazon are where to search for jars and lids. There are many sizes and types - you can pressure can in the "Le Parfait" type with spring clips as well as "Ball" type canning jars. Dunelm Mill sell the jars which is handy - but its often cheaper online. Don't overlook the dinky quarter litre size - perfect for individual portions of soup and the like.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh its been a few years since I did business with them - they might if you say "pretty please" and mention my name :). If not (and I can see why with all the customs paperwork etc.), have a look on E-bay - there are a couple of traders set up to do it and you can even pre-pay import duty etc. to ensure no nasty surprises from parcel force!

If you want to discuss sizes and so on, do shout (bigger the better really)

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
Ahhh its been a few years since I did business with them - they might if you say "pretty please" and mention my name :). If not (and I can see why with all the customs paperwork etc.), have a look on E-bay - there are a couple of traders set up to do it and you can even pre-pay import duty etc. to ensure no nasty surprises from parcel force!

If you want to discuss sizes and so on, do shout (bigger the better really)

OK, cool. I have dropped them an email (and name dropped!) so we'll see :)

I've decided to go for one of the All American 21 1/2 quart size. I like the idea of saving money but this will be used a lot and well, you get what you pay for.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excellent choice - all the best people have one :)

Pressure Canner by British Red, on Flickr

You do need a set of canning tools as well - especially the "jar lifter" and tongs - you can get them in the UK

Lower in jars by British Red, on Flickr

oh - and you can never have too many jars...I wish I had more....I often do a "run" of three dozen or more jars of a recipe.....you soon use them up.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
Excellent choice - all the best people have one :)

Pressure Canner by British Red, on Flickr

You do need a set of canning tools as well - especially the "jar lifter" and tongs - you can get them in the UK

Lower in jars by British Red, on Flickr

oh - and you can never have too many jars...I wish I had more....I often do a "run" of three dozen or more jars of a recipe.....you soon use them up.

Is that the 21.5 quart sized one in your pic? Just trying to get an idea of its size. I guess if it can hold 19 pint sized jars in one go it's not exactly small!

Well I ended going the eVilbay route I'm affaid. I contacted the site you suggested and they were very helpful but in the end the price saving (£100) for the same item just couldn't be overlooked. Hopefully this will be delivered in the next week or so and I can get started. :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think so although I find 16 pints to be the practical limit. Good luck with your canning - Its a good time of year to start!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE