press studs

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Gonna have a go at a few more bits ....what sort of sizes/tools do I need to put press studs in leather?
Has any one got any pics of double danglers?
What size d rings for dd?
Fancy a go at a lapplander sheath oh yea finally what size edge mcthingy do I need....forgot what its called to make the cut leather on the edges neater?
Ta Dave

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You need a small hole punch to make a hole. Both parts of the stud (male and female) come in two halves (four parts in all). To put each part together you put one part through the hole and put the other part over it and then peen it with a punch and anvil (supplied in the kits you can get on E-bay).

The thing is an "edge beveler"

No idea on the D rings - depends on the strap.

DSCN3627.jpg

Red

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ta Red will look on the bay LePrevo seem to sell diff sizes so not sure which to get??
Thanks for the pic....still working out if I can think of a way to convert mine to a double dangler as I 'forgot' to put on the d ring before I sewed it!
Dave
Ps How do you attatch it to your trous? Krab?

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I made a double dangler for a friend and used a key ring to link the parts. My thinking was that if she decided against the dangler, it could be taken off without unstitching anything. It can also be put on without unstitching!

I got some key rings of outside diameter 36mm or 7/16" for 8 pence each.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Ta Red will look on the bay LePrevo seem to sell diff sizes so not sure which to get??
Thanks for the pic....still working out if I can think of a way to convert mine to a double dangler as I 'forgot' to put on the d ring before I sewed it!
Dave
Ps How do you attatch it to your trous? Krab?

I'd go for the number 2 to start with it covers most bases and if you are careful you can vary the ammount you take off!

you can get 'split' drings - you can open them up with a couple of pairs of pliers then close them again ;) - I have one one with a 1" internal size if you want it.

I think on reds sheath you just put your belt through it, but i'm sure he will confirm!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Oh yeah what a muppet!
Thought about the split rings but fancied brass and not seen them. No2 it is then thanks one and all

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yeah I know I was thinking of it connected to a belt loop......been a long crappy day....tutorial.....I bet you have one stored on the putor somewhere eh Red?!?!
Ta D

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Oh yeah what a muppet!
Thought about the split rings but fancied brass and not seen them. No2 it is then thanks one and all

What I offered was a brass coloured (think they are coated steel) D ring that has a split in the middle of the flat part. Drop me a PM if you want me to bung it in the post for you ;)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks for the D ring g4ghb!
I received a free d ring today as g4ghb wouldnt take any money for it.
Once again the generosity on the site is a pleasant breath of fresh air.
Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Trouble is Red the list of people that beers/rum are owed when I finally catch up with them is getting massive! Mind I have got a long memory and hope to return the favours to others on here one day.
Dave

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Funny thing is on this place it seems to work out.

This week I knapped some flint shards for a mate and gave someone a couple of axe wedges I have a source for. Someone sent me a cracking vintage Sigg bottle I was asking about (free) and someone else refused payment for something they make.

I truly can't recall all the people I have sent oddments that might be useful to them - but I remember all the kind people who have helped me out and sent me things - its a lovely feeling - all the more so since no-one is "keeping score".

I'm not sure how this forum became such a nice place - but in the main I think its just through having nice people as members

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That was the plaited woven one, wasn't it .....and there was a tutorial too :D ;)

I agree, I do like the attitude and generosity of people on the forum. The, "If I have something someone needs I pass it on, knowing fine well that someone somewhere will have just the very thing I can't find when I need it. " sort of thing.

Good people :)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE