Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Got round to watching this after recording it from the other day as wondered if anyone else had watched it and what your opinions were.

I thought that the skills employed by some of those shown in the program were quite good representations of general bushcraft/survival skills.

For those who didn't see it I believe it may be available online on the NatGeo channel

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
It was a better representation of normal people compared with doomsday preppers in the US. Those guys came across as crazy but that may have been set up for the program. I don't know why they are forced to have a reason for their preps other than in case something happens?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Only got through the first 15 minutes so far. That 3rd prepper (the one who left the country0 doesn't seem particularly skillful at cleaning the hare. The narrator said "...after hours of preparing, it's time to begin cooking...." Hours of preparing? Cleaning that hare should have taken 10 minutes. 15 tops.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I enjoyed it.

As per usual some fears i thought were a bit extreme, the guy on the island didn't seem to have much of a plan, but still better than most.

Watched the US one last night with a guy in Texas that had spent millions building a ranch in the middle of nowhere.
He roped in this absolute nutter who fired a high powered rifle right next to the owners ear.

Just goes to show you even with a budget of millions you can't plan for everything :lmao:

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Anybody else think that woman prepper Annie hadn't a clue? Don't get me wrong, some of her ideas were good but was it just me or did she come across as all the gear and no idea and not necessarily the right gear? For example her knife, yes she liked having a big knife but it didn't cross me like she knew what to do with it- she nearly slashed her face just taking it out the sheath. And over reliance on her car to move all that bulky stuff around seemed unrealistic in the built up area she lived in.
Ok I'm not a prepper but still. Perhaps I'm being harsh, she was trying to learn admittedly.

Otherwise, some of them had some good ideas and did show their skills well. Much preffered this to the US Preppers on NatGeo (can't remember what the program was called) as they all seemed heavily reliant on stocking ridiculous quantities of food and twice as much in ammunition to gun their way out of a problem.

I wonder how many people on that show are members here (the preppers or appeared in the youtube video clips)?

Edit: Also loving all the names and labels thrown about- 5.11, maxpedition....

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Watched the US one last night with a guy in Texas that had spent millions building a ranch in the middle of nowhere.
He roped in this absolute nutter who fired a high powered rifle right next to the owners ear.

Have you seen the one where the prepper is showing his kids how to shoot then puts his finger on the muzzle of his rifle while shooting and blows it clean off then passes out?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Anybody else think that woman prepper Annie hadn't a clue? Don't get me wrong, some of her ideas were good but was it just me or did she come across as all the gear and no idea and not necessarily the right gear? For example her knife, yes she liked having a big knife but it didn't cross me like she knew what to do with it- she nearly slashed her face just taking it out the sheath. And over reliance on her car to move all that bulky stuff around seemed unrealistic in the built up area she lived in.
Ok I'm not a prepper but still. Perhaps I'm being harsh, she was trying to learn admittedly.

Otherwise, some of them had some good ideas and did show their skills well. Much preffered this to the US Preppers on NatGeo (can't remember what the program was called) as they all seemed heavily reliant on stocking ridiculous quantities of food and twice as much in ammunition to gun their way out of a problem.

I wonder how many people on that show are members here (the preppers or appeared in the youtube video clips)?

Edit: Also loving all the names and labels thrown about- 5.11, maxpedition....

Was that the one with copies of the Koran?

If so i think her intention was to flirt her way out of any situation.
Don't wish to sound mean, but the impression i got from the editing was that she seemed to look forward to the day in a hope of finding a bloke :(

I think that's where the key lay as well, you can edit a scene to convey several different meanings, and media being media they're going to hone in on anything they think is more sensationalist.

Have you seen the one where the prepper is showing his kids how to shoot then puts his finger on the muzzle of his rifle while shooting and blows it clean off then passes out?

Yep.

I think that's where it all stars to get a bit surreal for me.

For many i've seen they seem to go full out on what they enjoy, be that weapons, food storage etc but then leave other things they're not interested in like water for example.

Others i get the impression just love guns and feel that some how need to justify their massive weapons collection either subconsciously to themselves or to others.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Others i get the impression just love guns and feel that some how need to justify their massive weapons collection either subconsciously to themselves or to others.
My thoughts exactly! They just seem to neglect other key elements of survival too.

Havnt seen that one. But your description had me in stitches fella. Quality:D
I know, some people's stupidity never ceases to amaze!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Was that the one with copies of the Koran?

If so i think her intention was to flirt her way out of any situation.
Don't wish to sound mean, but the impression i got from the editing was that she seemed to look forward to the day in a hope of finding a bloke :(

I think that's where the key lay as well, you can edit a scene to convey several different meanings, and media being media they're going to hone in on anything they think is more sensationalist.

Yep.

I think that's where it all stars to get a bit surreal for me.

For many i've seen they seem to go full out on what they enjoy, be that weapons, food storage etc but then leave other things they're not interested in like water for example.

Why would anyone need to "justify" any part that they enjoy? Be it the weapons, the food, or whatever.

That said I do think many are actually hoping and/or looking forward to being proven right.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Anybody else think that woman prepper Annie hadn't a clue? Don't get me wrong, some of her ideas were good but was it just me or did she come across as all the gear and no idea and not necessarily the right gear? For example her knife, yes she liked having a big knife but it didn't cross me like she knew what to do with it- she nearly slashed her face just taking it out the sheath.....

Finally got round to watching the rest of the video. Big knife? You must have small expectations. Looked well less than a 5 inch knife to me.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Why would anyone need to "justify" any part that they enjoy? Be it the weapons, the food, or whatever.

That said I do think many are actually hoping and/or looking forward to being proven right.

You'd have to ask them mate.

My guess from the snippet of their lives i've seen that they show on TV is that buying guns and ammo to the extremes some are doing on the series, is likely to get them into hot water with their Mrs if it's just a hobby.

If you can convince your Mrs your preparing for the end of the world then my guess is they can "get away" with a LOT more.

An opinion i have formed from the experiences in my life is that those with the more extreme beliefs tend to be the ones with most insecurities.
I know we are not allowed to discuss religion here, but hopefully the mods will understand i'm just using it to put a point across.

But in my experience the loudest most stringent bible bashers are usually the ones that have the most doubts, so by shouting and having beliefs so strong that even many in their religion consider them outcasts, they are really trying to subconsciously convince themselves.

Make sense?

Stroller

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 27, 2012
London
I guess Discovery has to sell advertising, so shoving nutters with extreme behaviours make sense as they draw audiences.
Sensible prepping for a flood is no doubt quite boring viewing I should think. Watching someone back up family photos be stored offsite is about as much fun as seeing your neighbour's holiday snaps, not 'good tv'. :)

However, some of it was quite fun, the bug out island and the Welsh retreat both look like nice little playgrounds for bushcraft.
So I guess one one filtering out bull and enjoy the good bits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE