Preppers bikes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Some useless factoids

The storage life of petrol is one year when stored under shelter in a sealed container. Once a seal is broken the fuel has a storage life of six months at 20°C or three months at 30°C. The storage life of petrol in equipment fuel tanks is one month. source BP.com

Diesel fairs a bit better and keeps for about a year. If kept cool, dry (eg: storage tank not vented directly to atmosphere) and treated with various fungicides & stabilisers. Diesel powered Enfield clones known as the Sooraj 325cc got a lot of press in India thirty years ago alas finding one this far West it will be a rare beastie indeed. There is some good news though... Kerosene / Heating Oil / Jet fuel etc give or take an additive or three what old school Brits call Parraffin. As anyone who has ever found a rusty storm lantern at a farm sale soon discovers that stuff will still burn even if decades old. Unfortunately the only production motorbike known to run on the stuff is the HDT M103M1. Basically a Kawasaki KLR650 exclusively modified for the US Marine corps to use JP-8 jet fuel.

Reactions: TeeDee

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The storage life of petrol is one year when stored under shelter in a sealed container. Once a seal is broken the fuel has a storage life of six months at 20°C or three months at 30°C. The storage life of petrol in equipment fuel tanks is one month. source BP.com

There's plenty of products that can be added to petrol to prolong its storage life and plenty of people seem to get an old chainsaw to run on decades old petrol. It may not run that well but it'll run.

You can also buy Alkylate petrol which can be stored for many years.

Reactions: Bazzworx

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Wow blast from the past, I actually sold the norco, dismantled the carrera and sold the parts and bought a Dawes kalahari tourer bike, took the bars and adjustable quill stem off and fitted a. Stem adaptor and put mtb stem and trekking bars on it.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
There's plenty of products that can be added to petrol to prolong its storage life and plenty of people seem to get an old chainsaw to run on decades old petrol.
I would like to hear what such additives are, on my cabin I almost every spring use over year petrol ans have had so far no problems.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I would like to hear what such additives are, on my cabin I almost every spring use over year petrol ans have had so far no problems.
Just google "fuel stabiliser" and loads show up. I think that some 2-stroke oils have a fuel stabiliser in them as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE