Prep and Pack - What's Your Method?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
mmm 1/2 a mile extra walk to gain a Ltr of water in the lake district! is that 1/2 mile there and 1/2 a mile back? or maybe just 1/2 a mile.

i dont mean to be argumentative, but when someone asks for advice about solo camping for a few nights out in these kinds of locations and says they have had some bad experience, maybe a cautious approach would be appropriate, telling them to go lite and keep it down to about 14kg and your there means, unless they have attained some instant knowledge usually gained from experience or via camping/shrafting with others, and also possibly spending a considerable sum of money on kit that POSSIBLY wont do them any good at this stage, remembering they are newish to the experience.

only my opinion but unless your well attuned if you travel lite you will freeze at nite is a good start, take some time to read through the many posts and threads on here and other sites and take some pointers on where your going and what others have done/experienced in that environment.

in my experience if your wild camping in the Lakes your usually a little further away from the pubs and farms than 1/2 a mile, and if your cold, wet, hungry and thirsty it always seems a lot further.

only my opinion, no offense meant, just a little concerened about this thread.

Adam.

Me neither, but I've only just seen this reply and at the risk of also being argumentative...RTFQ (or in this case the reply). It was not to walk 1/2 a mile out of the way to obtain water it was just one of seven off the cuff obvious suggestions to locate water easily.

Covert System

May 6, 2013
Nottingham
Do not get into your bag cold.
Hot drink before bed, star jumps to warm you up then straight in.
If you get in cold ,you will stay cold.
Hope this helps.
best.
Chris.

In the First Aid for survival training I covered as part of my advanced First Aid, a Hot Drink causes your body to cool down and a cold drink causes the body to heat up, especially if the drink is a glucose / simple sugars mix. The liver is the body's central heating boiler that burns sugars and fats to produce heat, the body has a thermostat that like in a house if it is warm the thermostat clicks off and the boiler ceases to burn fuel where as cooling causes the thermostat to switch on and fuel starts to be burned.

The body is no different, so when out in an environment that is turning cold, put a layer of clothing on before you feel the cold, eat a snack that contains sugars and high calorific and energy sustaining ingredients and you should be fine. Hydration is as important as calorific intake but you can also over hydrate. While headaches and cramp are the obvious lack of hydration, over hydration leads to water intoxication and can result in digestive problems, behavioural changes, brain damage, seizures, or coma. If you have kidney problems then the onset of symptoms of water intoxication will be quicker.

Since the brain is the organ most susceptible to over-hydration, a change in behaviour is usually the first symptom of water intoxication. The patient may become confused, drowsy, or inattentive. Shouting and delirium are common. Other symptoms of over-hydration may include blurred vision, muscle cramps and twitching, paralysis on one side of the body, poor coordination, nausea and vomiting, rapid breathing. An average healthy adult will be able to process fluids without becoming intoxicated but those who have renal problems can and often do exhibit symptoms.

Any trained survivalist will tell you that the first rule of survival, keep dry, is important because if you are dry, you are warm. If your clothing becomes wet, you will become cold and suffer from exposure and your survival rate drops dramatically. This obviously depends on climactic conditions, so in hot countries you should not immediately strip off because you can still suffer from exposure but your first rule is to keep as much of your body clothed and in shade and wear a hat and hydrate at regular intervals with a mix of water and electrolytes to replace what you are losing through sweating and breathing.

So back on track... you can also sweat too much with too many layers and your clothing can become wet and that can cause cooling which is why your body sweats in the first place but in the wrong environment, this can be your enemy, so regulation of your clothing is important too.

Most of your body heat leaves through your legs, they are your body's radiators and second to that is the heat loss through your head, so keeping warm can be as simple as putting a hat on and wearing trousers designed for hill walking (lined).

Like any wilderness adventure, knowing what the local conditions are like and taking appropriate equipment with you is important as no one really wants to become a S & R subject or another statistic like some people do through not taking precautions, planning or leaving instructions on where they are trekking off too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE