Preheating Paste

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zeph

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2009
Manchester
Does anyone know of a supplier of preheating paste ?

I picked up a Coleman 550b multifuel stove and want to use it on paraffin, it works great using a mini blow torch to preheat, but i'd like to get the paste.

Zeph

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2009
Manchester
I might try the antibacterial hand gel,

The instructions say to preheat with preheating paste, theres nowhere to hold the meths near the generator

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Be good to know what the instructions actually meant though. It's astonishing sometimes the stuff that turns up :D
Rik_uk3 or Bilmo-p will most likely know.

cheers,
M

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you find 'Preheating Paste' as such it will probably be a proprietary brand and cost an arm and a leg for what you get and possibly a little squirty tube. On the other hand, if you buy a can of Greenheat or Sterno or other gel fuel and smear the stuff where you want it with a lolly stick, or some such thing, it will do exactly the same job rather more economically.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i always use meths as it lasts ages compared to the little tubes which i havnt seen for ages but when about can be quite exspensive

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
if the stove has not got a meths cup you could always soak a cottonwool ball with meths and place under burner and light

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Do you mean like greenheat gel ? or the antibacterial hand jelly stuff ?

cheers,
Toddy

Greenheat fuel gel was going to be my suggestion too, meths sometimes won't light easily when really cold or on cold metal, greenheat has no such issues. (and its organic and clean burning)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Try the canned Sterno, save yourself a few quid. While meths is hard to light when very cold from a spark its no problem with a match. People go on about problems lighting meths but remember that many thousands of folk in Sweden and Norway use Trangias in temperatures a lot colder than the UK and no, they don't all use pre-heating dishes. I've tried a few different brands of alcohol gel/hand wash and they all left a residue, to be honest I found the Green Heat about as useful as a chocolate tea pot; just over priced and nothing special.

You can store the Sterno in a small bottle for trips.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was thinking more that the greenheat stuff comes in neat tidy wee sachets tbh. I didn't know that the antibac stuff left crud behind :confused: makes me wonder what it does to the hands, though the crud might well be burnt moisturiser ?

Where do we get sterno though outsides of a Chinese cash and carry ?

cheers,
M

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Does anyone know of a supplier of preheating paste ?

I picked up a Coleman 550b multifuel stove and want to use it on paraffin, it works great using a mini blow torch to preheat, but i'd like to get the paste.

Bits of broken up hexy block of esbit tablet work. You need to keep the stove out of the wind while it primes.

I bought quite a few old kerosene stoves in tins with a packet of 'Meta tablets' stuffed in the tin for that purpose.

Colghans produce the fire paste stuff its available here in NZ not sure about the UK.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I was thinking more that the greenheat stuff comes in neat tidy wee sachets tbh. I didn't know that the antibac stuff left crud behind :confused: makes me wonder what it does to the hands, though the crud might well be burnt moisturiser ?

Where do we get sterno though outsides of a Chinese cash and carry ?

cheers,
M

Ebay Mary, tins of all sizes and you can pack the stuff into little bottles for trips, the little sterno collapsable stoves (Ian and I have one) would be good for the boot of your car.

12 small cans here, but just search for sterno and different sizes come up
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-12X-STERN...9?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&hash=item35a7c8fecd

Years ago when people were drinking meths in this country Americans were drinking sterno ! Thankfully those days are over and we can get 3 litres of 8% ye olde wife beater cider for £3 :(

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If you ever do a quick trip to France to buy goodies for Xmas, the big supermarkets over there have bottles of both denatured spirits (meths without the pong) and a gel-like stuff - also alcohol-based - in the Sports section. I got a couple of litres when I was there last, and works very well for pre-heating paraffin stoves.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE