practice sheath

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I decided I needed a bit of practice, before making a sheath for my new Bushcrafter from Bernie Garland.
So I thought I'd make a sheath for a work in progress that has been lying around, with a cardboard wrap,for ages ( not my knife b.t.w.)
I don't normally do welted sheaths but have decided that my B.G. Bushcrafter will be housed thus, so this is the result of my training session.
P3170006.jpg

I cant help but carried away when I start the old "doodling" It's almost addictive. I think I'll have to try to make something plain but precise in future.
P3170015.jpg

I only used one tool for the "carving"; a small stylus and spear point double ender.
photo quality is poor due to bad lighting but I'm sure you get the picture!

Best Wishes

R.B.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Be interested in a bit of a tutorial RB!!!!
Wold love to have a go at that but don't know where to start.
Any useful reading you would recommend?
Very nice by the way
Dave

rancid badger

Be interested in a bit of a tutorial RB!!!!
Wold love to have a go at that but don't know where to start.
Any useful reading you would recommend?
Very nice by the way
Dave

Well if you mean the doodling,it's really easy, you do it when the sheath is flat and you are more or less ready to sew it together.

You need to wet the leather so that it goes a dark colour but isn't dripping water all over. Then, you use a smooth ended tool ( smooth but not sharp-you don't want to scratch the surface) to 'draw' your pattern or design on the leather. I have used all sorts of things from the small 'steadfast' terminal screwdrivers to bits of antler and bone. For this one I used a double ended modeling tool from leprevo with a tiny ball on one end and a curved spearpoint on the other. They are polished, so don't cut the leather.

As far as books go, I have bought a few of the Al Stohlman ones but I worked out the doodling for myself, more or less by accident:rolleyes:

As far as a tutorial goes-well, to be honest I'm an absolute amateur at this stuff and there are other folk on here who could explain it all much better!

Best wishes
R.B.;)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Now that's original,reminds me of Aboriginal (is that still acceptable?) paintwork.
I'm not a maker yet,but I know where you're coming from in putting so much detail on it.

I mean, any designer/maker will be the same,then after a while their own opinions on classic simple designs will shine through to their finished product.

Hope that makes sense,but it's really nice and not too 'busy' for me as is.

rancid badger

Now that's original,reminds me of Aboriginal (is that still acceptable?) paintwork.
I'm not a maker yet,but I know where you're coming from in putting so much detail on it.

I mean, any designer/maker will be the same,then after a while their own opinions on classic simple designs will shine through to their finished product.

Hope that makes sense,but it's really nice and not too 'busy' for me as is.

Thank you, I always end up drifting back to a mix of celtic and Aboriginal and I am fascinated by "cup & ring" carvings. I'm fortunate that most of these carvings are a little rough and ready, as I have an excuse for wobbly lines etc.:D

Thanks again
R.B.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
lol. Aye, but 'natural' hand carved lines are much better than those that look like 'stampings' RB.

Each to his own of course, but even if a makers things appear similar, you know it's hand made and not made for (much) profit.

Look forward to the Bernie sheath (being an owner too):D

Tom.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I really like the random thought doodle patterns. They are more personal and much more relaxing than trying to follow a rigid pattern. Sort of the inner cave man coming out on the leather....my Kolrosing is more like the inner child coming out on the wood though....very very young child.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE