Powdered egg

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've been looking for powdered egg. When I checked on here Tesco seemed to be the favourite. Today I checked in Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsburys, The Co-op. No luck in any of them. Where do you guys get yours? Am I just unlucky?:(

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
have a look for a second hand tupperware egg carry, we have one and it protects the eggs a treat.

as to powder I picked a few tubs up from tesco as well but have seen it in holland and barret

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll keep looking. It may just be that all branches of Tesco etc. don't take it. Sometimes it depends on the manager.:)

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I've checked tescos for the last year or so and only ever seen the powdered egg whites, and even then it's on a rare occasion they have them in. I've given up looking for them to be honest, I just break a few eggs into an airtight tupperware type container, the type with the rubber seal and the snap lock thingys. As long as it's kept cool enough it's ok. Would prefer powdered though for the warmer weather.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
That stuff is more for the protein shakes red. "It has a mild egg taste and odour and will mix with a shaker cup or blender.", I'd prefer something that tastes of eggs if thats possible from powdered stuff. I know the hospital kitchens use powdered egg and having been in hospital a few times recently can vouch for it's....well...egginess lol. Cheers for the link though red, I'll try it out in my shakes when I do the weights though. :rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The "Weigh & Save" stuff is okay for scamble etc. and perhaps a little firmer than the myprotein. I've used both for okay omlettes though. None are as good as a fresh duck egg mind you :)

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
The "Weigh & Save" stuff is okay for scamble etc. and perhaps a little firmer than the myprotein. I've used both for okay omlettes though. None are as good as a fresh duck egg mind you :)

Got a few duck eggs from the farm shop on campus last week.......yum! Good point to add though...duck eggs are tougher to break than hen eggs. Much thicker shell and membrane. A slight crack in transit wont see the egg leaking all over your bag ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Somebody mentioned placing your whole eggs into a nalgene bottle that is topped up with water and the eggs do not break. That may be worth a go, the egg powder from Tesco isn't great to be honest and is only good for scrambled egg (tastes a bit weird though) and cooking such as bannocks and pancakes. Tesco may not be stocking them as I believe the great chicken fiasco that HFW kicked off last year had something to do with eggs IIRC. I believe Hellmans' are stopping the use of battery eggs in their mayonnaise and Tesco was stopping the sale of anything with battery eggs in it, which is exactly what the powdered egg would be made from. I still have a tub sat in the cupboard, it has a use by date (which it has passed) but it still tastes the same as it did when I bought it (ie. weird!) and doesn't seem to have been affected by passing the use by date. It is for use in extreme emergencies, so I reckon it'll stay there a little longer!

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I don't want to do anything fancy with the powdered egg. Just put it in my pancake mix to save me carrying eggs. Bacon and fresh pancakes, yummy!!!!! :rolleyes:

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
Have you tried making them yourself?

How to Quickly Make Powdered Eggs
#
Step 1

Scramble your eggs in a bowl. Pour them in a saute pan and cook until done.
#
Step 2

Drain the excess grease for a few minutes on a paper towel.
#
Step 3

Break the eggs into tiny pieces.
#
Step 4

Spread the eggs out onto a baking sheet.
#
Step 5

Dry at 135° F for at least 10 hours.
#
Step 6

Run the eggs through a blender until they form a fine powder.
#
Step 7

Store your powdered eggs either in a heavy plastic bag, or a jar with a tight lid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE