Powdered Egg Shelf Life

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I have bought some powdered whole egg off a well known auction site and upon recieving it it have a date on, 24/07/2012. I think this must be their best before date? What would people say is the reasonable shelf life for powdered egg and is there any way to tell when it goes bad?

Im going to store it in an air tight container

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Does it say "best before", or "Use by"? If it is a "best before" date then it should never go off, it may however start to resemble more of a solid than a powder over time.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
It doesnt say anything it simply says a date.

Ive sent the seller a message to try and find out more

I order 1kg hoping that I could put it in a container and then much like powdered milk just get it out when and if I need it

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Thanks for the help guys. The next question is how long would you keep using it for. Im not sure that rate I will go through this so is there a sure fire way to tell if its bad once mixed with water? Obviously if you crack a bad egg it can smell, is there anything like this with powder or is it simply keep it air tight and itll be good to use when the world ends?

nunzionuk

Cant say I've ever had a bad batch of powdered eggs, but powdered milk I have, and could tell by the smell.

All I can say is, if you think its gone bad, smell or look/texture, then bin it and get new, pretty much I teat it as flour, been using it for years in home cooking, only just starting with campfire cooking.

bernardj

May 3, 2012
Cambridge
As long as you reseal the container after use us should be able to keep using it for 2 years or more. If in doubt I suggest you contact International Egg Products who supply the product and are very willing to answer any queries anybody seems to have. Its great for Scrambles Egg and Omeletts. Good Luck

yungmannfuzz

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2011
NI
Sorry, its a bit off topic, but I have always wondered about the powdered milk I buy, says to use within a few weeks! As if that will happen.

Any thoughts as to why this is, or how long that will last when opened?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I always remember the line in Red Dwarf, where Hollie tells Lister that dog's milk lasts longer than any other sort of milk, cos no bu66er will drink it!

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
I've used a tin of Marvel powdered milk for up to 3 months once opened, if it's just me here it lasts for ages as I only use half a tsp at a time for a cuppa, normal milk just ends up going off so it is a waste most of the time.

According to the LDS/Mormons on the forum below, upto a year if opened & kept in fridge, 4 yrs if not opened, powdered egg 15 yr shelf life. What the LDS don't know about what they call 'preparedness' and foods really ain't worth knowing, they are the original 'preppers'.

http://www.lds.net/forums/preparedness/14804-using-dehydrated-basics-eggs-butter-etc.html

Si

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Break the powdered egg down into smaller packages. Mylared or vac pack is best, but if you don't have the kit, use clean, washed jam jars. This will prevent air getting to the parts you aren't using. You could even freeze the packets after you have finished which will help too. Air and moisture are your enemies here. They aid bacterial action. Bacteria will be slowed by a fridge and go dormant in a freezer.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Before we had to rely on producers and distributors telling when to eat it by we used to use our noses and eyes. I've binned things before the use by date because they had obviously not been stored or handled correctly but at the other end of the scale I made a curry late last year using curry powder for quickness (I have been using mixtures of different herbs and spices since my friend from India showed me how to make proper curries) It wasnt untill I started putting things away I noticed the best before date was 04/08 It tasted fine and no one had any ill effects.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
I've never taken a blind bit of notice of sell by/use by, it's to cover the producers butt and generate more sales, I cook for a living and have done most of my 40 odd years, as you said I use my eyes and nose to distinguish between off, on the turn, over-ripe, under-ripe, etc., etc. My kids on the otherhand stick religiously to both dates and once opened dates which used to frustrate the hell outta me as I hate wasting food, I'm slowly getting there though and re-educating them to use their senses.

Spices and dried herbs never go off if stored correctly they just lose the colour, taste and pungency as time goes on, they'll still outlast any dates on them by years though, spice racks are their worst enemy, keeping them in the light does them no favours at all. :(

Si

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE