Powdered Egg and Tinned Cheeses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rabsyboy

May 26, 2007
Where can I get hold of these?
Someone mentioned tesco for the eggs, but it doesn't show up on the home shopping site - then again , neither did powdered milk, so I think the search engine is a bit cack.

Cheers in advance for any help

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
(In incredulous "Wallace" voice) Tinned cheese?

Never even heard of such a thing... Personally, I've always reckoned that smoked cheese is the way to go. How long do you need it to keep for?

rabsyboy

May 26, 2007
I wanted it, potentially for years, in case of emergencies, but it probably wouldn't last that long in all reality as I love cheese.

Tinned cheese does exist - I think the army or TA used to provision troops with it - I got some once from a TA guy but I'm not in contact with him anymore.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I seem to remember tinned cheese in compo ration packs in the late 1970s /early 1980s - then again, the ration packs were often up to 10 years old themselves so I don't know how recently tinned cheese was produced for the forces.

But I haven't seen it since (though I have to confess that I haven't looked for it - it's not something that I would like to see again! :)).

Geoff

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Tinned cheese is a blasphemy but have you thought about that "squeezy cheese" stuff (it's full of salt and that's all you can taste but it's good in a cheese emergency)?

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi,
I have bought "kraft" tinned cheese from my local ethnic store perhaps worth in your local one, i seem to remember it was made in australia (but could be wrong).
It was ok better than i remember compo being, i seem to remember cheese possesed had quite a gritty texture but who knows how old it was!
cheers
lou

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay guys heres a challenge for you all. Tinned butter. Not ghee - proper butter. Bet you can't find it in the UK. £5 to the charity of your choice if you can find me someone who sells proper tinned butter in the UK! Be interested to have an online source for the kraft cheese too. Try living without electricity periodically and such staples in a long life form get to be really attractive!

Red

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Man, I lived without any leccy at all for 8 months in the heat of New South Wales without resorting to such measures.

Believe it or not, both cheese and butter actually keep OK at room temperature. That's what they were invented for. OK, they won't keep for 10 years, so they're no good for kitting out your nuclear bunker, but do you really think that sort of lifetime is necessary?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its more just convenience Dunc. I had some of the Aussie tinned butter a while back and it was great. Where we are we get loads of power cuts (5 in the last week with the storms). We have a gennie to keep the freezer cold and its never much of an issue (BB even used the oven in the open fire to finish of the roast chicken one time). But its also a right pain in the butt when you run out of stuff as its a goodly drive. Example - I like freshly squeezed orange juice. We normally make our own and I buy a litre in the supermarket, But we run out now and again, so its nice to go in the pantry and put a hand on a carton of UHT orange jucis (Liddls is about the best). Not the same but better than a 20 minute trip to get some orange. Ditto the butter - we bake our own bread as fresh bread is great in the mornings. I have been forced to resort to peanut butter in the past though. Why make life hard :).

I guess its not really about electricity - more just "rural living". We don't do that "weekly shop" nonsense. Once every couple of months we put a mega order in to one of the online supermarkets and get all the bul rubbish delivered (loo roll, washing powder etc.). Then shop local for meat and veg. But I mess up sometimes and a few long life staples save me a heck of a lot of hassle. The next house is planned to be wholly off grid so alternatives to power hungry fridges and freezers are a real plus to me - save me having to go into shops (shudder)

Red

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I know what you're saying Red - it's just that I regard butter and cheese as long-life staples anyway. They both keep for yonks. You could have a rolling six-month supply of butter in the pantry as long as it's properly wrapped. The reason the Aussies keep it in tins is to stop it running away in the heat.

I just find the concept of tinned cheese really wierd. Cheese can keep for years.

xylaria

(In incredulous "Wallace" voice) Tinned cheese?
QUOTE]

is there any evidence that William Wallace ate cheese?

He did in bravehart, so it must be true. Don't think it came from a tin, but the lady in waiting clearly said in one scene that she was glad we had lidls in britian as they do cheese-triangles that don't need refridgerating.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I was trying for a William Wallace vs Wallace-of-Wallace-and-Grommit joke. I guess it needs more work...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE