Pouches for Large Army Mess Tin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I am looking for a belt pouch to hold a brew kit based around the British Army large mess tin, from my memory when I served the mess tins fitted in the 58 kidney pouch. This would be an option, but I was looking for a pouch that would fit onto a belt and be waterproof - possibly a plce pouch or similar. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers

JFW

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hi, I have a (web-tex?) PLCE canteen pouch that holds my messtins + a hexi stove nicely.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
JFW
The old SAS webbing has a pouch which fits a large mess tin (snugly). Lofty Wiseman based his 'Survival pouch' around it as it has proper belt loops instead of a metal hooks etc. I believe it was also the used by the SF guys if they had to ditch thier bergans and make a run for it.
It can be worn with a rucksack as the belt loops have two levels and it also has a waterproof liner.
I got mine about fifteen years ago from www.survivalaids.com I dont know if they still sell them as there are none on the website. If they haven't got any try Silvermans or some other surplus suppliers.
Ta Ed

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
JFW
The old SAS webbing has a pouch which fits a large mess tin (snugly). Lofty Wiseman based his 'Survival pouch' around it as it has proper belt loops instead of a metal hooks etc. I believe it was also the used by the SF guys if they had to ditch thier bergans and make a run for it.
It can be worn with a rucksack as the belt loops have two levels and it also has a waterproof liner.
I got mine about fifteen years ago from www.survivalaids.com I dont know if they still sell them as there are none on the website. If they haven't got any try Silvermans or some other surplus suppliers.
Ta Ed

I think you'll find that the old SAS (58 pattern style) webbing puches are a tad expensive nowadays as collectors have got into the frame. I had a chat with a friend in TV production who also collects SAS kit and he was bemoaning the rising prices of the smaller authentic 'ish items - I think he said he paid around £35.00 for his last pouch - because it may once have been in a box on a shelf waiting to go to the SAS (shakes head)

PLCE kit is the way to go.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Tourist,
Amazing what folk will pay for things! I ll have to remember that next time I see somthing shiny on e-bay!:D

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
JFW,

PLCE pouches fit a mess tin but are designed to be used on the PLCE belt which is too wide for most trouser belt loops. The old SAS pouch is only partially waterproofed and are becoming harder to find as they have not been made for a while and are therefore becoming quite expensive. There is another option, one of these http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Silver/docs/topframe.htm then search for SAS ESCAPE POUCH, style 07019
It's a newer version of the SAS pouch with belt loops and it's in green mate :D
Tourist, this is probably where you got your pouch from mate, ;) http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/pf/pages/banner.asp?companyid=55
JFW if you want a DPM PLCE pouch, drop me a PM mate

Brian

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
A small issue mess tin fits in a standard 58 water bottle pouch, just. The odd time they were a tighter squeeze, don't know if it was shrinkage or slight manufacturing differences. I thought the "SAS pouches" were an american item?

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
JFW the escape/ration pouch and other webbing belt pouches made for the S.A.S are pure british items of kit not an American item..the messtins we have won't fit in the pouch to big:D !.....the light webbing construction is based on the P-44 webbing equipment set and are now collectors items ...for me i got all my S.A.S webbing like the roll-pin belt,escape/ration pouches and AR-15 mag pouches at silvermans in around 94'-95' i can't remember what i paid for them ,but don't think it was that costly back then..i still use this webbing for my hikes and hunts....i really like the quality of British kit..as someone said above give silvermans a try or heck make your pouches with some old canvas...vince g. 11b inf....

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
If memory serves me, i believe the SAS formulated their own belt kit from 58 pat webbing which then became known as the 'Allen' belt kit. It was later manufactured semi proffesionally by the seamstress at Hereford and there is now a belt kit manufactured by Arktis using the Allen belt name. However, the pouches are now part of the belt, rather than seperate.

The beauty of the original Allen belt kit was that pouches could be added and removed to suit the environment or mission specifics. This is not the case with the Arktis version. Here are some pic's of variations that were used.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Brian,

its a pity there is no rep system anymore as you would certainly receive some from me for your generosity. Thanks for the pouch and PM sent.

Cheers

JFW

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I like the Kidney pouch myself, because you can group everything together. I am modding both of mine so they can be used as shoulder bags.

Then again all my other pouches are Alice, so need something a little bigger.

Nice to see another Mess tin user!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE