potassium

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hello out there, I saw a demo using potassiium and glycerin to light a piece of paper not so long ago which sparked my imagination(pardon the pun) . Now when I asked in my local chemist if I could buy some , He looked at me gone out, and told me it wasent sold any more. so where can I get some crystals??????????????????
thanks

nenook

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
try the evil bey, it may well be in powder form though, this is no real problem as it just speeds up the reaction.........

you may also find it at the local garden centre, it is used to treat fish disease on "carp", i think.....

chris.......................................................................

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Just as a minor cautionary tale....

Potassium permanganate (sp) is now sold from chemists in tablet form, powdered and reformed into pill-shaped singles. I bought some and was frustrated that it hardly ever worked.
Then someone told me about the manufacturing process - which has to blend in a fire retardant to stop the machinery catching fire!

So if you are offered any, check to see if it is in the form of flakes or crystals (which should work fine) or tablets (which don't).

ATB

Ogri the trog

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
the powder should work fine, i have a friend Joely who got some powder not long ago, worked better than my crystals...........

chris........................................

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Didnt have any problem getting Potassium permanganate from my local chemist it might be worth ringing around a few others to see if they stock it - One thing I did find with getting it to ignite was on a hot day no problem on a cold damp day - It didnt work for me

There's a chap on here 'Freddythefish' who showed us the same but with his crystals used sachets of suger (from McDonalds etc), pour potassium permanganate into a depression in a piece of wood (like that of burnt in bow drill hearth) add sugar and then crush the two together with the drill, hey presto fizzing sparks and purple smoke!

I got some potassium permanganate and glycerin off ebay... when it came it was about a pinch full! most disappointed!

S

SteveD

''There's a chap on here 'Freddythefish' who showed us the same but with his crystals used sachets of suger (from McDonalds etc), pour potassium permanganate into a depression in a piece of wood (like that of burnt in bow drill hearth) add sugar and then crush the two together with the drill, hey presto fizzing sparks and purple smoke! ''

Icing sugar generally works better as it is finer than normal granulated for these sorts of applications.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
hello out there, I saw a demo using potassiium and glycerin to light a piece of paper...

Hehe, be careful what you ask for. Potassium is a soft metal, you don't see a lot of it about. It usually has to be stored under oil because it reacts rapidly with air and violently with water -- it will very easily start a fire that way. :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Sorry to reopen an old thread. Asked for some in Tesco today. The pharmacist asked if it was for my feet (it can be used for athletes foot). I said "Yes", being prepared to give an excuse for using it to sterilise water

He didn't have any in stock but could order it in. As I was about to leave he said "Great for making bombs!"

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Funny thing is, I'd only just bought some glycerin specifically to make fire (have ordered some potassium permanganate off eBay anyway)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
just trial and error really for what works for you... dont make it to wet though just enough anti freeze or glycerinto make the powder/crystals moist/damp all over...

dont forget this time of year it will take longer for the reaction to happen...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry to reopen an old thread. Asked for some in Tesco today. The pharmacist asked if it was for my feet (it can be used for athletes foot). I said "Yes", being prepared to give an excuse for using it to sterilise water

He didn't have any in stock but could order it in. As I was about to leave he said "Great for making bombs!"

It's one of the ingredients in Black Powder (old fashioned gunpowder)

Oct 24, 2011
You can no longer get Small jars of Potassium permanganate in the UK as it is used to make Bombs and ower Goverment is frightend the British people will use it against them when the economic collapse happens. It is very usful for Bushcraft though as you can use it to make water safe to drink,two drops in a liter of water clean wounds 5 drops in a cup of water ,remove atherlets foot 20 drops in a cup of water ,start fires if mixed with car antifreeze and lots of other things. you can still get it if you know the right people as with everything in life. If you order it from your local chemist you will probable endup on a goverment watchlist. as it is one of the mean Ingredience in making a Bomb.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE