Possibles pouch whats in yours

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
We have had a couple of threads in the past on this subject but we've not had one for quite some time and there are lots of members here now that weren't here the last time

I made a possibles pouch for Ogri the trog in for the brantub (same pattern as the my one (shown)). I gave it to him at the Moot he really liked it and wanted to know what i had in mine, unfortunately i never had chance to tell him so this is partly why this thread is here.

The question got me think about what i was carrying and why, it also made me realise that we dont really talk about possibles pouch much any more and i didn't know why? I like mine it's handy and i have most of the things i need on my belt when I'm out and about. i do get ribbed on the odd occasion about my buscraft utility belt :p
so here's my list and a photo
gallery_pouch_002.jpg

Contents:

Swiss Army Knife [Huntsman]
LED torch
1m paracord neck lanyard
Match case with compass in lid
Strike any ware matches with cotton wool to protect heads
Alcohol hand cleaner
5m thin nylon twine
2.5m 3mm paracord
1 Maya wood stick
3 zip lock food bags
Green and Blue filters for Petzel Tika XP torch in in separate pouch on belt too with spare batteries
3’x1’ of tin foil
Mesh washing tablet bag
Sewing kit [in small zip lock bag not shown]
....1 large needle
....2 small needles
....1 large curved needle
....1 small curved needle
....1 sadlers needle
....6 small safety pins
....3 4m lengths of black cotton
Personal First Aid Kit [in small zip lock bag not shown]
....Assorted sticking plasters
....2 packs steristrip stitches
....Sterets alcohol preinjection swabs
....2 Melonin non adhering dressings
....Should have some sort of dressing maybe medium No. 8
Should have some sort of sharpening device DC4 maybe
I still have a small amount of room too!!!!!!

EDIT 23/8/06:
i have added
No8 medium dressing
plastic drill container wrapped in 3m of gaffer tape containing
15 x 2" nails don't know if this is staying yet
one Indian stone [fine water stone]
6" of bcycle inner tube

So
what extra could i put in mine that I've missed?
do you use a possibles pouch if not why not?
whats in yours?
whats it look like?
after you've had a think what would you change in your pouch?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Hmmm, not sure if you'd call it a possibles pouch, but I have a PLCE double ammo pouch, half of which usually has snacks, brew kit, meths and the like, and the other half contains the following "emergency equipment":

Signal mirror
Survival bag
Lifeventure knife / fork / spoon (the knife is a 3" stainless locker)
1 sachet Greenheat
Small arkansas stone
Several fabric repair patches (mainly waterproof coated nylon)
Small tube of seam sealant / adhesive
Firesteel and striker
Tinder pouch

Plus 10m of paracord attached to one of the bungee loops. Needles and thread are in my FAK as I carry that everyday. Whistle on my keyring.

I clearly need a torch in there somewhere. I keep thinking about putting some emergency fishing kit in there, but then I remind myself of just how useful that's really likely to be... ;)

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Is it the brass one? I bought a brass one and the black Alu one, the brass looks nicer and more bushcrafty but it is so heavy compared with the Alu.

I like the pouch, did you make it yourself? I've been using an MEC manbag for mine but it doesn't look as good. It's more of an urban possibles kit though and usually contains:

Blue Flame lighter
Arc LS torch
Small wood inlay Sebenza
mobile phone (I may try and paint it OD ;) )
AMBU rescue shield
Keyring with Photon White LED light, SAK classic, Swiss tech key, button compass and even the odd key on it
Leatherman Charge Ti + its bits
Waterless hand cleaner with duct tape wrapped around it (my wife used to take the p*$s about this until one day my son's sandal fell apart and I stuck it back together with the duct tape)
Telescoping space pen + post it pad
A bit of Para cord, often some sailing line (similar to climbers accessory cord)

(OK so I'm a bit of a kit junkie :D )

You've reminded me I need to put more first aid stuff in it and a sharpener, plus the foil is a good idea too. Great thread!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I don't have a 'possibles pouch' per se (I'd like a nice leather pouch though, considering making one)

I tend to carry all the stuff I'd want to hand in an old Swedish Army gasmask bag.

Generally it contains:-

Gloves, knife, saw, FAK, Paracord, KFS, Snacks, Mozzie spray, camera, torch, spare batteries, basic sew kit and a couple of Collins Gems - Food for Free and Trees

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
jdlenton said:
I made a possibles pouch for Ogri the trog in for the brantub (same pattern as the my one (shown)).

I like the possibles pouch - do you have a pattern for it? And how did you dye it?

Cheers,

Mike

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Contents of possibles pouch..

Much the same as everyone else,s , I suppose.
I do like to carry a small magnifying glass, too..(eyes aint what they were).
Also a bit of beeswax and a few skullache pills.

So, I ended up with four of these pouches, (sort of like the Matrushka dolls), and I,ve finally decided that theres a definite need for a Tardis-like quality of being able to accommodate infinite volume inside an unreasonably small space!

Ceeg

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
gregorach said:
I keep thinking about putting some emergency fishing kit in there, but then I remind myself of just how useful that's really likely to be... ;)
me too maybe I'll drop some hooks in the sewing kit at a push i can press the twine in to service as line i haven't got any in now because i believe i could make some
scruff said:
Golden Virginia and a packet of Rizzla? :D
what no tea bags or a small bottle of mead:D
Mikey P said:
I like the possibles pouch - do you have a pattern for it? And how did you dye it?
a pattern well not really i designed it after seeing quite a few other examples i then made a mould for the wet forming [have a look at this thread] and that's about all the pattern I have. I mark out the lid/back with a ruler the pouch front after i have trimmed it and a dinner plate :eek: (it's just the right radius) as for dyeing i use fibbings professional oil dye and them finish with neatsfoot oil and leather balm with atom wax after talking to Leon at the moot i am considering using resolene (sp) an acrylic finish
Seagull said:
do like to carry a small magnifying glass. Also a bit of beeswax and a few skullache pills.
I have contemplated a lens but not found the right one yet, skullache pills dont use them if i can avoid it but not a bad idea for the PFAK. Whats the bees wax for ?

I think i need a whistle in there too having thought about it

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Not really a possibles pouch more a going for a walk in the woods bag.

It's an S10 resperator bag containing the following;

Penknife - WWII patten single blade with marlin spike
Torch
FAK
Brewkit
Crusader mug/stove/waterbottle hexemine tabs (soon to be replaced with Coke can mini meths burner - when I get round to making it)
Notebbok and pencil
Field guide (sometimes)
Monocular
Compass
Whistle
Length of paracord
Small sheet of plastic - for use as a bivi/poncho if caught out
Snacks
Laplander saw

Moduser

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Hey ho, JD.

The beeswax, yerse, I used to mess about making bushy type glue or gum,
but I found that my Missis,s dumplin,s were much better :lmao: .

I use the wax for waterproofing thread, when I have to; and as a focal point for pocket lint.

Congrats on the promotion, btw! ;)

Ceeg

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Seagull said:
The beeswax, yerse, I used to mess about making bushy type glue or gum,
but I found that my Missis,s dumplin,s were much better .
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Seagull said:
as a focal point for pocket lint.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: nice idea

might carry some for making glue that's an ides but it not really a possible IMO

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Having been mentioned in James's first post, theres a heap of good ideas that I'm going to have to sift through. But if I was to take everything mentioned, I'd have to trade the pouch in for a leather rucksack ;)
So things like FAK, small knife, hand cleaner, ignition source, torch, compass etc etc will all come in useful, I just need to prioritise what goes in the pouch and what could be better off elsewhere.

Cheers all

Ogri the trog

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
How about using one of those credit card size lenses? and a couple of cottonwool and vaseline balls to help with the fire lighting?

LS
Good list of bits though, will have to do some re-packing I think...

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
ludlowsurvivors said:
How about using one of those credit card size lenses? and a couple of cottonwool and vaseline balls to help with the fire lighting?

LS
Good list of bits though, will have to do some re-packing I think...

i ordered the very same yesterday

so whats on your list now LS and what will you change?

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
jdlenton said:
i ordered the very same yesterday

so what on your list now LS and what will you change?

Hi JD,

What I will do is strip out my possibles pouch, and photograph the kit, add the necessary bits and bobs and re photograph...

LS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE