Possible New Treatment against Tick Bites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was just about to comment on that; I saw the same programme. I also commented earlier in the thread about the increase in ticks since the sheep dipping had changed. Not particularly chuffed to say I told them so, but pleased enough if it sorts out the problem.
Can't see it being the be all and end all though. Quite like the idea of the guinea fowl tbh.

Probably needs a multi pronged attack on the blighters.

cheers,
Toddy

Chasing Rainbows

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2011
Central Scotland
One person in the program was saying they are life threatening to young birds.

Yes, a seed tick (hatched nymphal ticks from eggs laid in nest after blood fed adult detaches) infestation can cause anemia, disease and death for the young of many animals.

Quite like the idea of the guinea fowl tbh.

Probably needs a multi pronged attack on the blighters.

I hope I'm not brown-nosing a little here Toddy mate, but I'm really glad to have someone with your knowledge and intellect on this forum. I agree on the need for a multi pronged attack. The obvious approach seems to be a big deer cull, I have mixed feelings about that. On the other hand, when I find myself walking through a bottleneck in a deer track, with big fat ticks glinting in the sun on pretty much every 10th blade of grass I can see the point.

My personal record is twenty ticks imbedded in me at one time.

If you are fastidious about your tick check you can be safe in the woods.

Not bad at all BoonDock! I hear some places in AMerica have to be fenced off because they're so badly infested. Mines is 32. Shall we all have a competition? :p

Nice article Ronnie, thankyou for posting.

Sorry if I missed anyone. Duty calls. o7

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I'm told that releasing some ginae-fowl (I know, I can't spell) into an infested area is very effective. They'll munch their way through the ticks, which make easy prey sitting on the heads of grass stalks. A few birds can apparently clear a square mile. I'd be wary of releasing non-native species, but ginae-fowl are kept here as pets and I've never heard of any problems.

Given the nature of the beast I'd assume ticks to be present in Ireland. They travel so easily with livestock. But maybe St Paddy cast them out too.

That sounds like a great solution and if we end up with too many guinea fowl we can just much our way through them :)

Given the nature of the beast I'd assume ticks to be present in Ireland. They travel so easily with livestock. But maybe St Paddy cast them out too.

There are definitely ticks in Ireland. I pull them off of my pets and usually a few off of myself each summer. Lymes is here too but the Docs don't really know how to look for it.

St. Patrick should have chased the ticks out and left the snakes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE