Porridge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Camped out in the garden with my daughter last night and made some porridge this morning. Hmmm, I know it's easy to make and all, but, well, even with syrup, I just find it bland.
Anyone got any ideas to spice it up a bit?

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Cheese porridge is good. Finely dice or grate a couple of oz of cheese (red cheese works well IMO) into it just before it is ready to dish up. No reason why it has to be sweet all the time

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How can you eat sweet porridge ? :yuck:
It's one of the few times I wish I could still drink milk, because that salty milk on the top of my porridge was brilliant :D

Never thought of adding cheese into it though, that sounds really good; cannae eat that now, either :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I always remember my Grandad putting salt and pepper on his porridge. I like savoury porridge myself but the kids wont eat it so its mainly sweet.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Add some hot water and a couple of stock cubes, ( or a cuppa soup or two) and then bung in whatever veggies and small meaty bits you can find. Simmer and stir and it'll make a great soup/stovies for lunch and the pot'll be cleaned out too :D
I hate cleaning pots :rolleyes: so if they can be double dutied, so much the better :)

M

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you can't have cheese, Mary, chop half an onion into it.

Just an aside, I had a coupla nights under canvas the other week. The second night was unplanned & I didn't have my usual bag of porridge for breakfast as I'd only taken one, so I made up a pkt of noods without the broth sachet then when they were done, squeezed a healthy dollop of conny-onny into it. Some folk here of a certain age will remember pasta (often macaroni) made up as a baked milk pudding. The sweet milky noods were like a blast from the past. All that was missing was a sprinkle of nutmeg.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like porridge made from pinhead meal :) Onions go well with oats, and we have a dish called skirlie; basically fry a chopped onion in a tasty oil or fat ( if you make and eat bacon, use the bacon grease) and then add pinhead meal and stir until it swells up a bit and is cooked through. Think on it like a kind of oat couscous, but a bit stickier.

I do remember pasta pudding :) and I still think rice pudding is best baked in the oven, and yes, it's much better with nutmeg :D

cheers,
M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you're talking about oat porridge (what we call oatmeal) then I agree it's pretty bland on it's own. However there are several combinations that work well for me:
1. Maple and brown sugar
2. Apples and cinnamon
3. Raisons and sugar
I like milk over all the above combinations.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Condensed or evaporated milk is always nice for those who have no cholesterol worries:) But do like Santanaman's suggestions too. funinly enough, tend to find packets of all of those at hotels I stay in in Florida!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Camped out in the garden with my daughter last night and made some porridge this morning. Hmmm, I know it's easy to make and all, but, well, even with syrup, I just find it bland.
Anyone got any ideas to spice it up a bit?

Exactly how are you making it?

Where porridge is concerned I lean a little to the dark (Santaman) side, but there have been some interesting suggestions here that I shall be passing on to SWMBO, as she's very much of the other persuasion.

Thanks all!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Condensed or evaporated milk is always nice for those who have no cholesterol worries:) But do like Santanaman's suggestions too. funinly enough, tend to find packets of all of those at hotels I stay in in Florida!

LOL. That's where I was 1st introduced to some of those combinations (the instant packets in grocery stores, not the hotels)

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Don't add peanut butter!
I make it with a whisky glass full of oats, same of water and another of milk - 1/1/1 - on the hob.
Honey is usually added but jam, nutella or golden syrup are all good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE