Poplar seed down

Does anyone know if the downy fluff from poplar seed is any good for firelighting?

One tree (I believe to be a balsaam poplar) is shedding loads at the moment and as it is next to a road the wind from the moving vehicles is pillling if up against the hedge ready to be collected.

Will it take a spark or ember? You might say 'give it a go'! but I have yet to try any primitive methods and thought I would gather materials as I find them... soon I'll be ready for trial by friction!

Leo

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
yes you can use it as a tinder. i believe it will go up as well as a ball of cotton wool (someone correct me if i'm wrong) as it smoulders but can be used in a mixed tinder ball.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
My 8yr old son was off school on Tues so we did some woodwork and had a barbeque. I said he could light it (which means spark and tinder to him).

We tried poplar seed fluff for the first time. I have never seen anything natural burn so fast! It would need to be mixed with something to give a sustained heat to light a fire properly though.

Cheers,
Steve

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Seoras, is that neat as in fluffy or prepped like I mentioned before? I have a nice bag full of it!

Leo

I just get a load of whatever downy seed heads such as poplar, willowherb, thistle, pampas grass or cotton grass to name a few and mix them with the birch bark. I fluff the down up lightly that is all.

I do not know what goes into my bundles as my tinder bag contains everything from my general wanderings. Just make sure you mix the birch bark in. Another bark I use is the inner buffed up strands of the Western Red Cedar bark.

Experiment with a few and let us know what works for you.

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE