Poncho or the Gore-tex suit ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Recently, I don't exactly know why, I was coaxed onto Dartmoor for a couple of days hiking and being kind of unprepared I made a few errors with what I took with me due to not having the kit anymore, but one error was packing two sets of waterproofs as I wasn't sure anymore which would be better. Now I know my ex military gore tex cabbage suit is waterproof albeit a p.i.t.a with the trousers and sometimes it is even breathable, but it is a shell, protection from the combination of wet and wind together. I also threw in my ex US military poncho, because it was useful as a ground sheet, but actually ended up wearing the poncho in the summer rain and it was very breathable for obvious reasons, I am very much surprised, as the wearing of poncho's on open terrain I had never done before and even found the rain gets particularly persistant, like it did with the thunderstorms a week ago, just crouching down was enough, a one man crouching tent, total protection.

So of others suit or poncho ?

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I prefer separate trousers and jacket, ponchos are okay unless there's any wind.

I've never come across a fully waterproof poncho yet either, the closest being a 1970's german army surplus number which must have weighed 4kg.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have a very nice gore tex jacket and matching trousers from a Scandinavian manufacturer, I have had a few gore tex jackets down through the years and these are the best set yet. However I only really wear them in the winter.

For most of the year I use a poncho.

It would flap about in the wind but doesn't because I wear my rucksack on top of it.
My trouser bottoms would get wet were it not for the fact that I wear shorts.
The inside of my boots would get wet were it not for the fact that I use home made ankle length gaiters to keep them dry.

Mostly I use a 58 pattern poncho, mine keeps me dry.

I don't want to stop walking because it is raining and I find that wearing a poncho keeps me cooler than wearing a full set of gore tex waterproofs. If I was working and couldn't do so beneath a tarp, waterproofs would be my preferred option.

Last edited:

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Poncho's fine unless it's windy. I use one if I know I'm not going to be tabbing all over the shop. However, Goretex is hard to beat IMO. I don't bother with GTX strides as I begrudge the money - I'm a fan of Berghaus Deluge bottoms & a good GTX jacket. I've a Berghaus Pro shell Extrem that I picked up at TK Maxx & a Mera Peak which is the dog's danglies for Winter. TK Maxx can be your friend for Goretex if you keep your eyes peeled. Must of the cheapo ex forces GTX stuff is crap in my experience - the good stuff is priced accordingly.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I prefer separate trousers and jacket, ponchos are okay unless there's any wind.

I've never come across a fully waterproof poncho yet either, the closest being a 1970's german army surplus number which must have weighed 4kg.

I ve never came across a totally waterproof suit either Rich ,I have worn most kinds extensively outdoors and all have failed eventually in persistant rain,I have had more luck with ponchos and the obvious price difference is not to be sniffed at !

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
The only thing that ever got me about the US poncho was what the hell to do with that string loop thing inside, until I found this ;

http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/vn/poncho.html

But has anyone tried to do what is suggested, it's not easy and in wind not any easier, but when it is in place, t works to stop the thing flapping around in the wind.

The US ripstop poncho I have, is waterproof, I have tried sucking air through it and the seams are taped, but hoods I don't like wearing and I dislike waking in the rain, so on the head it is a hat, commonly an Aussie bush hat which is so impregnated with polish, it's waterproof and so stops the rain going down the back of the neck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE