Pole Lathe

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
I am thinking of making a pole lathe and was wondering if anyone has made one before, if so does anyone have a link for a good website, where I can get instuctions for making one.

Cheers!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
One of my pole lathing friends went to the Bodger's Ball, he said he'd never seen so many and of so many different types before. He called it an 'Amazement' of pole lathes :rolleyes: :D

cheers,
Toddy

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
One of my pole lathing friends went to the Bodger's Ball, he said he'd never seen so many and of so many different types before. He called it an 'Amazement' of pole lathes :rolleyes: :D

cheers,
Toddy

That is this weekend in near Oxford. We will be there running the "whittlers corner" carving area. There will indeed be a lot of pole lathes though I don't take mine, having worked on one full time for 15 years it is a bit of a buss mans holiday to go turning at the weekend.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
That is this weekend in near Oxford. We will be there running the "whittlers corner" carving area. There will indeed be a lot of pole lathes though I don't take mine, having worked on one full time for 15 years it is a bit of a buss mans holiday to go turning at the weekend.

:banghead: :banghead:
I have a pole lathe in the back garden - And I'm off to Wales this weekend!!!!!!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I am thinking of making a pole lathe and was wondering if anyone has made one before, if so does anyone have a link for a good website, where I can get instuctions for making one.

Cheers!!!
I made one a couple of years ago using the bodgers website that Robin put the link to above... They are pretty easy to make... I used some old bits of softwood I had lying around to make the frame.
The sides to support the bungee, I used some hazel and the two pointed ends that support your work, I used some 10mm threaded rod with a pair of grips to turn the rod.. Not pretty but it worked a treat and I made it for almost no cost... Go to your local building site and try to scrounge some timber...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have an old bed that is gonna get transformed this summer! A visit to the scrapyard will hopefully secure some threaded bar long enough to bend twice so that it is a crank shape and then will be easier to tighten up. The longtitudanal lengths are from the side of an old bed, other pieces will be found for the legs to support the bed of the lathe and then the corner posts will be used to create the bits that stick up, don't know the names! I got some plans from Eric, I believe, and will follow them for the best results. Hopefully I can get a shave horse knocked up too, but I want to make it all so that it can be collapsed down to aid transportation. To Robins' house, that is, so that he can show me the ropes so to speak! I'd visit Eric, but he's further away! :p

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I have an old bed that is gonna get transformed this summer! A visit to the scrapyard will hopefully secure some threaded bar long enough to bend twice so that it is a crank shape and then will be easier to tighten up. The longtitudanal lengths are from the side of an old bed, other pieces will be found for the legs to support the bed of the lathe and then the corner posts will be used to create the bits that stick up, don't know the names! I got some plans from Eric, I believe, and will follow them for the best results. Hopefully I can get a shave horse knocked up too, but I want to make it all so that it can be collapsed down to aid transportation. To Robins' house, that is, so that he can show me the ropes so to speak! I'd visit Eric, but he's further away! :p

If you do use threaded bar to make the crank, you'll find it more comfortable to use if you put a bit of old garden hose on the end to protect your fingers. The sticking up bits by the way, are called poppets.

A portable shave horse is easy to make too. You can make one with a bit of 4x2 from B&Q, a bit of 1/2" ply for a seat and socketed legs (slightly tapered so they slip out easily). Your weight will keep them in place during use. Then it'll all fit in the back of the car.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE