Polar Whittler with stacked birch bark handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I wanted a nice little whittler for myself so I bought a cheap blade and used cheap materials.

I removed the scale from the blade and rounded the spine to make it more comfortable to push with my thumb. Its brass and red fibre then just burch bark and riveted together. Its not my best work though.

Polar Whittler stacke birch 1 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Polar Whittler stacke birch 2 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Polar Whittler stacke birch 3 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Polar Whittler stacke birch 4 by alf.branch, on Flickr

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Based on that, I'd like to see your best work. It must be very good indeed.

What I mean is details like the bolster fit which if it had been a handmade blade or for someone else I would done again as it not quite right and the rivetting could be better. That said it will serve me well I am sure and stacked birch is so nice for a handle.

Now that I really, really like...

Thanks Wayland

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like the look of it, birch bark looks good, must try this one day. I still have four of those blades to handle, made four handles and was not happy with them so going to try again.
You say the bolster fit could be better, I have seen worse.
One trick I have learnt is to file it at an angle so it meets first on the outer side, of it is a bit loose a couple of light taps with a small peening hammer brings it closer to the blade.

Last edited:

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I love those stacked handles.

Have you held one as they grow on you when you do.

I like the look of it, birch bark looks good, must try this one day. I still have four of those blades to handle, made four handles and was not happy with them so going to try again.

Leather is good too (not done one yet). Whats wrong with the ones you have done.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
brancho mate, the ones that I have made and discarded have all fell at the drilling of the tang hole.
I carve them first then drill the hole last, cant seem to get it right lately, going to invest in a decent pillar drill instead of a hand drill.
I have some box wood drying out, I fancy making a stacked handle with that and something darker contrasting along with brass both ends.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Hugo
I always make the holes and attach them to the blade before shaping myself
No all do look HERE
Another aproach is THIS

You can add vulcanised fibre to the stack to add colour too.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like the look of the abalone bolster, plenty of that at Hugo towers, I have made a few hair slides for the missus out of it, amazing what you can find at boot markets for a pound.
Bigted003.jpg

Hear's one of Ted the axe bear wearing some abalone.

Bigted002.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE