Poisonous Moth????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Found this in my garden is ok for the kids to touch, my boy loves all bugs, spiders and things, he just picks them up.

930c0661195deb65dcaecc499e075441.jpg
47d4510a4ad2c84010ae8db648bde7e3.jpg

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nothing to worry about from handling an adult moth. I can't say to species which moth that is, but your kids can't come to any harm picking it up.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Looks like Hawk moth. Not harmful. Although some people can react badly to some moths. Skin blotches from contact.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Right, having looked it up I think this is a Dun Bar moth, which makes it about as dangerous as a bowl of rice krispies. I mean, you could choke on one, but that's about the furthest extent of the risk.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Right, having looked it up I think this is a Dun Bar moth, which makes it about as dangerous as a bowl of rice krispies. I mean, you could choke on one, but that's about the furthest extent of the risk.
The deadly venomous vampiric death moth camouflages itself as a Dun Bar moth. Just lying in wait for an unsuspecting victim to come close. Proboscis twitching in anticipation... Striking when you least expect it. They've been known to such a human dry.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The deadly venomous vampiric death moth camouflages itself as a Dun Bar moth. Just lying in wait for an unsuspecting victim to come close. Proboscis twitching in anticipation... Striking when you least expect it. They've been known to such a human dry.

I think it is time for your medication now.

It is certainly time for mine :)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Sorry if you all think im being bonkers but I heard recently that a new type of moth has been seen in the UK which has spurs on its legs that act like a stinger, as you can see in the picture this has big spurs that look like a stinger. According to the report 3 strikes or stings can kill a large adult mail.

my boy is 3 and listening to the hype thought i would ask.

many thanks to all, you may now carry on taking the mick....

regards.

Chris.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sorry if you all think im being bonkers but I heard recently that a new type of moth has been seen in the UK which has spurs on its legs that act like a stinger, as you can see in the picture this has big spurs that look like a stinger. According to the report 3 strikes or stings can kill a large adult mail.

my boy is 3 and listening to the hype thought i would ask.

many thanks to all, you may now carry on taking the mick....

regards.

Chris.

Mate, if you don't ask...

...then no-one can take the mickey and laugh at such a stupid question :lmao:

Seriously, I haven't heard of any such dangerous moth, and I don't know of any worldwide beyond the thing about hairy caterpillars being risky to handle and some caterpillars and moths are noxious or poisonous to eat.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
A quick Google seems to show typical overreaction by the papers. Some lead with a large banner headline about killer moths coming to the UK, then show a picture of a caterpillar. (Idiots)

Delving deeper it would seem that the scare is about Oak Processionary Moth caterpillars, which have irritant hairs (and can in rare cases cause an anaphylactic reaction, and maybe in extreme cases death)

However, moths are fine, so don't let the sensationalist press give you nightmares!

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Some lonomia moths or more specifically their caterpillars have pretty serious venomous hairs. They're south American though I don't know if any British ones. If you have any kind of skin reaction to a moth some over the counter cetirizine based antihistamines will clear it up

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
From what I have learned, there is a very simple Answer. If in the UK, worse thing are midges and wasps. OUTSIDE Europe, (especially in Australia) everything that flies, slithers,walks,hops and buzzes, are out to get ya. My advice, check your boots.
Tequila!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE