Pocket First Aid and Wilderness Medicine - Review

Wayland

Hárbarðr
We have a lot of books in our house, 2 or 3 thousand at last estimate, so a book has to be a bit special for me to make the effort of vinyl covering it.

This book, “Pocket First Aid and Wilderness Medicine ” by Dr Jim Duff MBChB and Dr Peter Gormly MB FRCS actually prompted me go out and get a new roll of vinyl.

At 140mm x 105mm x 10mm. This is a book I’ll be carrying with me. My first aid kit has always included a manual but I’ve never seen one that suits bushcraft and outdoor pursuits so well.

The sections on first aid are just as you’d expect for the most part, but where this book is really different is what happens next. What do you do if the ambulance is not going to be with you in half an hour, half a day or even half a week?

This book has been written for expeditions who may be a long way from medical help. Sure, in an ideal World we would all prefer to pass the casualty on to someone who is better qualified to give medical aid, but what if that’s not an option?

I think this is the only first aid book I have seen that goes on to deal with aftercare and longer-term treatment where necessary.

Dealing with the basics, the first thing that impressed me was the layout, very clear and simple, the way everything was cross referenced with page numbers taking you straight to the information you need could be a life saver too.

Although it does recommend that you read the whole book before you set out, let’s face it, that’s something you do once then forget about until you actually need it. I felt this was a book you could pick up in an emergency and all the important stuff comes quickly to hand.

When I started to read through it, the experience of the writers really started to show. Before I’d read 20 pages I had learnt about a dozen very useful tips for preventing and preparing for problems that even after a good few years of bushcrafting and outdoor life had simply never occurred to me before.

There is also plenty of advice on diagnosis and medicine that seems very sound to me.

As the book clearly says:

“Unless you are a doctor, you should only use these medications in remote situations where medical help is not available, the victim needs the treatment to prevent disablement or death, and they give their consent.”

Good advice indeed, however, should such need arise the information contained in the book is clear and the medications appendix at the back deals with uses, dosage and possible side effects.

Other sections not usually found in first aid manuals, but very useful in a wilderness context, include hot and cold weather problems, altitude sickness, water purification, venomous bites, evacuation and even a section on child birth.

Possibly the only thing missing is a few blank pages at the back, which are always useful for notes, and can be used for lighting your fire in a real pinch.

Highly recommended. *****

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Hi Wayland
thank you for posting this. It looks brill. Have sent e-mail to them re purchase so am just waiting for reply.

Cheers
Tutchi
:cool:

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Sounds great Wayland, thanks for letting us know.

Please let us know what they say Tutchi.

It's available on Amazon as well for £5.95 + £1.99 sourcing fee. 4 to 6 weeks delivery though!!

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Big John said:

It's available on Amazon as well for £5.95 + £1.99 sourcing fee. 4 to 6 weeks delivery though!!

Hi John

Will do M8

Tutchi
P.S. There is a discount in purchases over qty of five. Group buy?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
According to the website if you buy it from them the profits go to a Himalayan environmental charity.

I should say at this point that I have no connection to the publishers other that having met Jim and Rejane on a hillside a couple of weeks ago.

That's how I heard about the book.

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Big John said:

Hi John
right M8
it can be ordered from Cordee Ltd on line @ www.cordee.co.uk or if you wish to phone direct it is 0116 254 3579. The price is £6.55 posted in the UK.
In stock as well.

Re bulk buy :- this would only be with free delivery on qty of five or more. Hardly worth the bother as postage would have to be paid in any case. HTH

Rgds
Tutchi
P.S. Just looked at site. Good for a large number of outdoor type books. Worth a look.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I sent Dr Jim Duff a copy of this review and he sent this reply, I include it here for those that are interested.

Dear Garry,
Thats a very nice review, thank you, can we quote some of this if the need arises? The attached clarify where the experience comes from!
You might want to tell your group that the book is available from me at this email address, its the cheapest source!
Cheers
Jim

(Attached document)

Dr Jim Duff

VARIOUS
Co-author of Pocket First Aid and Wilderness Medicine (formerly: First Aid and Survival in Mountain and Remote Areas).
Author of numerous articles on travel and medical matters
Co-developer of the Australian-made PAC™ (Portable Altitude Chambre).
Founder of Homeless Men’s Clinic, Metropolitan Cathedral, Liverpool.
Founder of IPPG (International Porter Protection Group).
Founder of MRF (Manang Rescue Fund).
Leader of Himalayan treks
Consultant on mountain safety to World Expeditions Travel Company, Australia
Set up the Machermo rescue post 4500m Everest national park
Climbing & Mountaineering: climbed UK, Norway, European and New Zealand Alps, and North America.
Expeditions: six major Himalayan expeditions as a doctor, climber or leader, including British expedition SW face of Everest 1975 (first British ascent of Everest), British expedition West Ridge of K2 1978. Australian expedition Everest North Face 1984 (first Australian ascent of Everest).
Sailing: from Hobart Tasmania circumnavigated New Zealand and Fiji 1989-90.

INTERNATIONAL PORTER PROTECTION GROUP
In 1997 in response to the death of a porter who passed away just hours from the medical aid post that he was manning in Nepal, Jim set up the International Porter Protection Group (IPPG) to raise awareness of the neglect and exploitation of local people that occurs in the Himalaya (www.ippg.net).

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Sounds Great! (and a great review mate!)

I want, no I NEED one :eek:

can you let us know the addy for for Jim as I for one would rather the cash went straight to him rather than lining a distrubuters pocket!;)

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Wayland said:
Follow the link to Treksafe and the address is the Europe one listed.

What part of Cordee Ltd did you not understand in my post? Your url to Treksafe gives Cordee Ltd as the source. That is exactly what I gave you :confused:

Tutchi

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Wayland said:
Treksafe or Cordee Ltd. I believe it says.

Treksafe is Dr Jim Duff, Cordee is a distributor I think.

You seem to be the only one arguing about this. His site is telling you where to purchase the book from in this country. i.e. " Cordee Ltd" I don't see where you are having a problem with this?

Tutchi

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Wayland said:
It's no skin off my nose where you buy it from. I'm just answering g4ghb's question accurately.

What's the problem?

Hi
as I said in my pm lets beg to differ and put it to bed. Its not worth arguing over. If there has been any offence taken I can assure you it was not intended. :sad6:

Rgds
Tutchi

P.S. To add insult to injury :) Cordee have just sent me the wrong book :(

Wayland

Hárbarðr
rolleye11.gif

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Only just found this thread!
I have to agree with the review - it is a cracking rescource and I take it with me on all my expeds!
Some techniques are not for the squeemish though.....:eek: :yikes:

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Only just found this thread!
I have to agree with the review - it is a cracking rescource and I take it with me on all my expeds!
Some techniques are not for the squeemish though.....:eek: :yikes:

I Know what you mean. I hope I never have to follow the instructions "Pull the two parts of the broken bone away from eachother".......Urgh.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE