Plenty of stock of fire woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Hi all, Good Evening.
As we are having beautiful magnificent sunny weather at the moment in time for this month and as the BIG MOOT is approching on us at a very fast speed. I was thinking about dry fire woods stock at the moot. As everything thing is going to be sodden wet in Sunny wales, PLEASE Tony and Mods, can we all have Ample of Stock of firewoods ready on the word GO at the very Beginning of the MOOT. I won't say that I am an expert at getting a fire going properly the first time and have never had a problem of lighting a fire, but there is still a first time, may be for the Green Horns amongst us and the more Experienced bushcrafters on here that won't admit that they have a problem of finding woods and getting a fire going properly. I know its more fun and challenging of finding your own fire woods, but not everyone knows How To Do It and Where To Look For It when its Raining Days On Ends. Not Moaning or Complaining, Just Thinking for Everyone's else .Thank you.

Cheers the interceptor boy.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi all, Good Evening.
As we are having beautiful magnificent sunny weather at the moment in time for this month and as the BIG MOOT is approching on us at a very fast speed. I was thinking about dry fire woods stock at the moot. As everything thing is going to be sodden wet in Sunny wales, PLEASE Tony and Mods, can we all have Ample of Stock of firewoods ready on the word GO at the very Beginning of the MOOT. I won't say that I am an expert at getting a fire going properly the first time and have never had a problem of lighting a fire, but there is still a first time, may be for the Green Horns amongst us and the more Experienced bushcrafters on here that won't admit that they have a problem of finding woods and getting a fire going properly. I know its more fun and challenging of finding your own fire woods, but not everyone knows How To Do It and Where To Look For It when its Raining Days On Ends. Not Moaning or Complaining, Just Thinking for Everyone's else .Thank you.

Cheers the interceptor boy.

Admin & Mods arrive on the same day as the FM's ... They have a live outside the forum (yeah, it sounds weird - but we do ... ;) ) and unfortunately don't reside permanently at the Moot site. Although it'd be cool if that was our HQ where we can manage the forum before or after Moots. Sitting under a tree, with a light breeze fighting spammers. So I don't see how we can make ample stock of firewood available, although there's probably some we left in previous years.
See it as a learning curve. By the end of the Moot no one will struggle starting a fire with wet materials ;)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
In past years we've had deliveries by a local farmer of several tons of wood at intervals throughout the event.

If Moot-goers can gather in groups for their cooking fires and not go mad with huge beacon fires every evening, there should be ample wood for everyone - it is a social meeting after all.

The garages around the site will sell bundles of logs, "morning sticks" and barbecue charcoal that will not only help the situation, but will be drier than anything sourced on site.

When Anjho said about the Mods arriving at the same time as the FM's, we have the added tasks of putting up the tarps, chute, notice boards and building the shop as well as booking in the members and trouble-shooting their issues, being car-park attendants and so on.

If you want fuel for your own fire right from the offset, bring some with you - and if you find a good supply of it, share it!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just to add a bit more to what's been said, We'll get on some firewood, we had a lot delivered last year to the site so there was actually plenty, although some of it can be a bit sodden and I expect that will be the case this year. Wood for fires etc is actually quite hard to come by, those that run the site point out that there's a huge beech etc that we can use, part of the problem there is that it's huge and the other is it's not seasoned, so this leave the site guys saying there's wood on site and us knowing there's no decent or accessible wood on site..Hope that make sense. So we're buying in wood.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tony,

As a thought mate, there are plenty of chainsaw users on the site - many at a professional level. I'm sure one would throw a large saw and some PPE in the car and section up that beech for you. Those rounds will season in a year or two . Sledge hammer and wedges will split them down as needed next year.

Just a thought - its hard sweaty work, but if its truly a huge tree, there would be a good few cords of wood in it. Might even make an interesting demo if, instead of a chainsaw, someone took a 6' crosscut saw - everyone could take a turn and cut one section - its a lot harder than it looks!

Red

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, we've cut some bits off before, when it comes to the rounds, anything we cut off will be consumed within weeks by the next people on the site, every year we walk around seeing where people have just hacked anything down to have fires.

Firewood should be all good, we've got some coming in and Dave always brings his stuff and Longstrider said last year he'd be bringing his stuff this year...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE