Platypus in the cold?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Anyone got any experience of using a platypus style water bag in sub zero temperatures?

Mine has a neoprene sleeve on the tube but I doubt if that will be effective.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
When you have finished drinking, blow the water from the tube back into the bladder...if it's in a rucksac near your back it will be ok...at least it has always worked up to now!

Simon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just have the little ones that have sports caps, in my rucksac. So long as I keep them against the back of the sack they seem to work fine.

Hadn't thought about the tube thingie, I've got one of the something or other hydration systems that fit into one of the Lady Berghaus rucksacs but I don't think I've ever used it :eek: Too lazy to carry any weight I can avoid.

cheers,
Toddy

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I find them really useful on long walks in very dry conditions.

It's easy to get dehydrated by not drinking enough and using the tube thingy makes it easy to drink little and often without having to stop.:)

rancid badger

When you have finished drinking, blow the water from the tube back into the bladder...if it's in a rucksac near your back it will be ok...at least it has always worked up to now!

Simon

Beat me to it;)

Mine used to freeze every time, till I figured this one out.

One angle not mentioned however, is if you happen to have one of the types of rucksack, which is held away from your back by a frame of some sort. In these circumstances your platypus can freeze regardless then.

You could always try the method I used, to use to keep my issue bottle unfrozen, which was to keep it inside my combat jacket;)

regards

R.B.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Beat me to it;)

Mine used to freeze every time, till I figured this one out.

One angle not mentioned however, is if you happen to have one of the types of rucksack, which is held away from your back by a frame of some sort. In these circumstances your platypus can freeze regardless then.

You could always try the method I used, to use to keep my issue bottle unfrozen, which was to keep it inside my combat jacket;)

regards

R.B.

I used to wear my Platypus under my ghillie suit for the same reason...I had a little insulated back back for it then. No pockets, just a sleeve for the bladder, very low profile.

Simon

rancid badger

Dunno about one of those:bluThinki

If you mean the things you put a charcoal stick in, then light, I'd be a bit wary of that, to be honest.

I've never actually used one of those things myself before anyway but the idea of a live heat source in with all that 'melty' kit?

Hey, it might well work, you never know but I'd advise great caution:)

Someone might be along to tell us it works fine, in a little while;)

cheers

R.B.

trauma

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Midlands, UK
www.razortooth.co.uk
A few tears back i was on excercise in Norway and the marines issued us with a 1ltr Platypus with the sports type drinking lid. They advised us to keep this on our person, in an inside chest pocket or such next to our body, so that it would not freeze in our kit.

I did this once and then found it was fine in my kit, they are just nice as a space - saver for when you need to stock more fluids, they are not ace for actually taking on hard excercise while full like a hard bottle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE