Plant I.d please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Hi guys and girls the neighbours been digging up his garden and pulling up some plants . He has come across one that smells onion like . Can anyone I.d it for me please.
ame6asam.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks like an allium to me. If it smells of onion, then that's what it'll be.
Which one, I don't know. BR might well though :)

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I too would like to know; if that plant grows less than two foot high, I've got it's buddy growing up through my tulips :rolleyes: I 'think' I planted them with a mixed set of spring bulbs so it was a generic 'flowering allium' type thingie.
Pretty but not spectacular. If I don't dead head then it sets a kind of mini oniony crown of mini green stems.

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm here :)

Its certainly very likely to be an alium and I would suggest not a wild UK one. - Could be allium neapolitanum?
[h=1]4556.jpg[/h]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If that comes in pink, the same pink as Lady's Smock, then maybe .....it seems to start forming little bulbils up top just as fast as the flowers ripen though.

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The only edible one I know that forms bulbules at the top in a really pronounced way is the Egyptian walking onion

Egyptian%20Walking%20Onion%20sets%20growing%20greens%20of%20their%20own.jpg

but there are ornamentals that do it too

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Thanks red . I should make sure he doesn't chuck the flowers over his salad later then . He's bound too

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a bit cheugh to put in a salad, but the little bulbil things are a tasty munchy :)

That's probably what's happened though; the original plant has been left to go to seed and when it rotted down the little bulbs set themselves in his grass. Give them a year or so and it'll be a crop of pink alliums :)

Mine are much smaller than those Babbington's ones BR. I think you're right and it's an ornamental of some kind.

atb,
M

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've just realised it looks like a plant I've just spotted in the last couple of days whilst walking the dog. I think Wild Onion, Allium canadense, is a possibility. It does look quite variable when you look at various images of it, but some show pink flowers and red bulbils.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know of no toxic ones, and have never heard of any. Some taste much better than others though, and if there's no sulphur around they won't taste of onion at all.
Some are way too tough and stringy to be bothered eating, others are too 'dry'. Our eating varieties are chosen because they're juicy or soft.....like chives rather than like tough grass, sort of thing.

One way to find out :D

That said, onions do give some people dreadful wind.

I think the ones you have in the photo are most likely allium roseum.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE