Plans for being in forests after dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys, sorry if this shouldnt be posted (mods feel free to remove if needed :)) And sorry if something similar has been posted

Basically you may or may not have heard that the forestry commision here in northern ireland are planning on banning access to our TAX paid national forests after sunset. And will issue fines to any one caught. I know a few memebers here are members of the NI wild forum who are doing everything in their powers to prevent this sensless law being passed. I would ask that anyone who is on facebook to please "like" the following page - http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fi...fter-dark-in-Northern-Ireland/136767126399001

Personally i think this is one of the most stupid backwards ideas i have ever heard (well since they wanted to sell of the forests that is), And if you are a northern ireland resident of Northern ireland you will find details about who to contact in regards to "nag and moan" about it at NI wild.

Once again so sorry is this is inappropriate and apologies for asking people to check out another forum but like most i feel that our access to public forests is limited enough as it is, without adding this nonsense on top of it.

Thanks guys

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm actually tempted to leave it Phil.

This issue is important, and not everyone reads Other Chatter.

As a pretty hard and fast rule we don't do multiple threads on a specific topic, but since the links on both threads run to the same place, let's leave this one in Bushcraft Chatter for the present too.

It can always be tidied up into one thread later on.

cheers,
Toddy

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I assume this is an attempt to stop the chavs leaving beer cans and crap or generally burning down DIY camps? I'd imagine this won't end up quite so draconian - expect a 'camping license' very soon....

however wildcamping was already banned in England and Wales so I'm not overly suprised the same issue is raising its ugly head over there?

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
"I assume this is an attempt to stop the chavs leaving beer cans and crap or generally burning down DIY camps?"

From what I have seen this does not only have to be a night.

I'm actually tempted to leave it Phil.

This issue is important, and not everyone reads Other Chatter.

As a pretty hard and fast rule we don't do multiple threads on a specific topic, but since the links on both threads run to the same place, let's leave this one in Bushcraft Chatter for the present too.

It can always be tidied up into one thread later on.

cheers,
Toddy

Ta very much Toddy :)

rmbriar

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2011
Bangor
Good job posting this Phil, I almost posted a link to it myself. We need to rally support against these proposals

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Other than the fines will it affect anyone as you are not currently allowed to camp or have fires in FC land unless its on a designated site and the carpark gets locked and you get turfed out by the rangers at sunset in the woods local to me (Plymouth)
Also a lot of the Fc woods near me have no private access. I also have no issue with banning of unofficial cycleing as they are a real problem in the local woods and can often ruin a good walk with the family, I'm all for set routes and trails but when you get a bunch of lycra clad idiots racing along at full pelt when people are walking dogs etc it does not mix well. As to the no overnight bit I expect it has a lot to do with insurance

kesom

Jun 19, 2011
birmingham
the **** heads keeping the troubles going use the woods at night to train and move their weapons,i grew up across the border and the garda never liked to see a crowd of us headin into the woods,we'd always be stopped,i'd say this is the main reason for it or well excuse
once they play the security card the bill will be passed :(

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
I think its a step to prevent the Irish travellers from the south from setting up camp as it is now illegal down there.

phil

kesom

Jun 19, 2011
birmingham
I think its a step to prevent the Irish travellers from the south from setting up camp as it is now illegal down there.

phil

lol,right,they must be gettin desperate if their headin into the woods,i dont think in all my years in ireland have i ever seen them camped in a wood but i aint been home in a few years and didnt realise they werent allowed to camp down south anymore,desperate means,desperate measures lol
but what a lame excuse if they do use that one in fairness,can you imagine a traveller livin anywhere he cant drive his transit to !
best of luck with the campaign,ive liked it on FB :)

peace ken :)

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
As a foreigner I can't help but think that the brittish seem to have become obsessed with forbidding something as the only way to react to a problem. :(

We might be getting somewhere, i received a reply to my email as have many others, my reply was as follows.

Dear Mr Nicholl

Thank you for responding to our consultation on the draft Forestry Land Byelaws. Your views, together with comments from other stakeholders, will be taken into account in the development of the new Byelaws.

Regards

Jan Davidson
Policy and Legislation
Forest Service
028 905 24116

However as of yet NO reply from any of the THREE local MP's i contacted via email and twitter.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
As a foreigner I can't help but think that the brittish seem to have become obsessed with forbidding something as the only way to react to a problem. :(

you've got it spot on mate!

the over paid MP's have no idea how to deal with real people or situations.
Even funnier though is how the MP's can steal £1000's through expences but don't see any real punishments BUT if MR.Taxpayer dares go into the woods at night! tut tut!

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
We might be getting somewhere, i received a reply to my email as have many others, my reply was as follows.

However as of yet NO reply from any of the THREE local MP's i contacted via email and twitter.

I got the same reply Stinger, it was good to get it acknowledged. I also had the same situation with the MLAs, no reply from them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE