Pitching a Basha/Hootchie - help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
That makes sense now :eek:): :eek:): :eek:):

Cheers!

I had contemplated tying the end loops to the ridge line but sorta considered it cheating as I couldn't see any in the picture I used as reference!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
C_Claycomb said:
The ridgelines used by Woodlore are about 6mm, their reasoning was that if something fell off the tree that hefty ridgeline cord would offer some protection. Not entirely convinced myself. Anyway, I have been using regular paracord, so that isn't much help.
Yeah, right! :roll: If it was polyester covered spectre line, maybe, possibly, but even then I seriously doubt it. If I was worried about something falling from the tree I wouldn't set up there, not rely on 6mm coard to somehow catch or deflect the object.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Good point Adi!

One thing you should always do is check the site where you intend to erected your shelter (any shelter!) for visible hazards, these could include things like dead over hanging branches, ants nests even water marks in areas of flash flooding ect.

If in doubt - move.

As for falling tree limbs, I have seen a tank barrel bent by a falling limb in a storm and if it will do that to a tank your 6mm nylon line, para cord or other wise, with its 15% stretch its going to help or stop much.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Yes I agree the chances of it falling horizontal and bouncing off the ridge line is pretty remote unless your under a Bonsai tree! beech like shedding limbs when you least expect them to, always inspect bows/branches above where you string your basha you dont want to find out what its like to be a cocktail sausage at 3 in the morning :shock:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Paganwolf said:
Yes I agree the chances of it falling horizontal and bouncing off the ridge line is pretty remote unless your under a Bonsai tree! beech like shedding limbs when you least expect them to, always inspect bows/branches above where you string your basha you dont want to find out what its like to be a cocktail sausage at 3 in the morning :shock:
Good point ... always be wary of beech trees shedding limbs and and also pines trees that can just snap.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
C_Claycomb said:
My knot book talks about prusiks needing the main line to be twice the diameter of the line you are tying the knot in...whatever relevance that has :?:

Hi Chris, what your book says is right.

As you know, Prusik, Klemheist and other similar knots loop around "fixed" rope, and slide easily easily along it when not under load, then lock tight when a load is applied along the direction of the fixed rope. One of their most valuable uses is for a climber who has fallen and is hanging from a rope to climb back up that rope. You can't do this hand over hand so you carry a couple of prusik loops ready made to give you a sliding clamp for your hands and feet.

If the prusik loops are made of cord with the same diameter as the fixed rope their tied around, they won't grip properly. They slide under load when they shouldn't. If you're climbing, they heat up and melt :yikes: To get them to grip, the cord used for the prusik has to be significantly thinner than the "fixed" rope. Half the diameter or less. Use 2 or 3mm prusik cord with a 5 or 6mm ridge cord. 5 or 6mm prusiks around a 10 or 11mm climbing rope.

Hope this makes sense of it. BTW here's the Kelmheist, an alternative to the prusik that some people find quicker to tie.

klemheist.jpg

http://www.ozultimate.com/canyoning/knots/klemheist/

The loop in these demo photographs is made from cord that is much too thick - check out the words too because these are right.

Cheers, Alick

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Hence why we use 7mm ridge lines and 3mm guys - although I didnt know the math of it all.

Having said that the Prusiks original task was for ascending ropes so maybe that is the important part - now it can be use the same as a taunt line hitch on a hootchie and as no one will climb it the breaking action doesnt need to be so sever.

Interesting thread. :super:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE