Pioneer the cockerel bids you all a good morning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well that attracts attention in a café when you forget to turn the laptop speakers down. :lmao:

He's a handsome looking chap. Was he back to his cherry leaf duties while up there Red?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well that attracts attention in a café when you forget to turn the laptop speakers down. :lmao:

He's a handsome looking chap. Was he back to his cherry leaf duties while up there Red?

He still has a nibble Colin but hes munching on all those Cauli leaves mostly :)

He is only just learning to crow as hes just becoming mature now - you can see his comb and wattle reddening and growing by the day.

He hasn't got a long future but every cockerel should get to crow :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Tell him to keep the noise down. Some of us are a bit fragile this morning. Something to do with a visit to the Westons cider factory yesterday, possibly :rolleyes:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tell him to keep the noise down. Some of us are a bit fragile this morning. Something to do with a visit to the Westons cider factory yesterday, possibly :rolleyes:

Let me know next time you are intemparate and I'll sneak him under your bed!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A fitting send off for him. Boy he looks tasty, good set of drumsticks on him. Did he taste good?
I like the clay chook cooker, birds come out nice & moist in them. You been using it long?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Several years on the chicken brick Colin. BB uses it well - soaks for 30 minutes then squeezes lime and lemons into it. As you say, really moist.

He was delicious - drumsticks were huge. I used one of Duncans knives to prep him and its fine point was excellent as a "bird and trout".

I'll have a stir fry tomorrow from the breast and BB a drumstick. Carcass is in the stock bag in the freezer and trimmings will go to chicken and sweetcorn soup. None of him will be wasted!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Alas poor Pioneer...No doubt he was very tasty.

I was given a chicken brick but have never used it...I wait until the birds in the supermarket grill are half price and buy a couple...Not the most gourmandierly way of getting chickens, but I am skint.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Chicken bricks are excellent - highly recommended as a way to infuse flavour and keep a bird moist

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice with some wild garlic, mushrooms & an unchecked corn head in there. Gives it a real earthy taste. Nice to hear you using him all up, amazes me how much folk don't use up from a chicken these days.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ah, and there is me has a roast once in a blue moon due to living on own.

I assume it wouldnt do for a small duck as theres no way to drain the fat? I was going to ask for a duck as a christmas treat. (Turkey is nice but to my mind hardly a treat, me who lives on my fellow dinosaurs...)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice with some wild garlic, mushrooms & an unchecked corn head in there. Gives it a real earthy taste. Nice to hear you using him all up, amazes me how much folk don't use up from a chicken these days.

Absolutely true.

I'd rather use the livers for catfish bait but they're good fried:

Chicken feet:

convert

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE