Pine Resin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 29, 2010
Bebington
I've been looking around the net for a few hours and there seems to be to many differing opinions, thought might as well ask here. . .

Is pine resin ok to eat? Or will it effect liver and kidneys?

I read you can eat the nuts and inner bark and needles, someone also said to eat the sap another person says dont :/

Anybody done it? Going camping next week and want to try something new. . .

Also, with all the bits you can eat, is that from any pine tree in England?

Cheers.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Even the Greeks water it down with wine :)

For the little resin you might manage to eat I seriously doubt it'll do you any harm. Indeed we have very early evidence of it being chewed and then spat out like chewing gum.

Pines and firs, be certain which one your're dealing with.

The only toxic pine I know of is the Norfolk Island Pine (ironically used as cut christmas trees, they don't survive in the cold :rolleyes:) which won't grow here anyway.

Why pines ? There's masses of wild food out there just now, and pine nuts (stone pine, again it won't grow here) aside, they're all pretty much starvation food only.

Pine essential oil, and pinene -- an extraction, turpentine and Stockholm tar, however, are not to be consumed. Might be where this idea they're toxic is coming from.

cheers,
Toddy

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
Never heard anything about resin being harmful to humans...

In my country stone pines are part of the landscape in some areas. My parent's have 4 on their garden and after almost 15 years 4 they're starting to give cones (that contain the nuts).:)

I heard about those pine resin gums but ironically with a great tradition of resin extraction I can't find anywhere that sells that in this country. I would love to know how they're done to try make them if it's not to difficult...

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
When I find any dry enough, I always have some as chewing gum!
Mind you though - it has to be properly dry, otherwise it turns to glue and coats your teeth for days! :yuck:

To use it as gum, find some that crumbles as you break it apart. Select a suitable sized piece and start to chew - but keep with it - at first it will feel and taste powdery and bland. But once it melts and forms into a thick gum, it'll last for hours and freshen your breath. I find it best to begin chewing only with your front teeth until you are sure that it forms the correct consistancy lump.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I've tried it, and found it to be like eating a lump of 'flash'.. :lmao: No idea if different conifers taste different from each other. Only word of warning, is make sure you have no allergies to pine trees, which isn't as daft as it sounds I know of several people who come out in hives, bumps and all kinds of itchy lumps. Can't imagine what would happen if they put some resin in their mouths. If in doubt do a 24hour test - rub a small amount on a soft bit of skin, like the inside of your arm, and wait 24 hours to see if you have any reaction. Better yet, consult a more profesional source to check out proper testing of wild stuff.

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
Mind you though - it has to be properly dry, otherwise it turns to glue and coats your teeth for days! :yuck:

To use it as gum, find some that crumbles as you break it apart. Select a suitable sized piece and start to chew - but keep with it - at first it will feel and taste powdery and bland. But once it melts and forms into a thick gum, it'll last for hours and freshen your breath. I find it best to begin chewing only with your front teeth until you are sure that it forms the correct consistancy lump.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Thanks for the advice mate. I'll keep that in mind and try it on the next time I go out. My parents house is near several pine forest so I think I'll have no trouble finding resin like that...

Jun 29, 2010
Bebington
Even the Greeks water it down with wine :)

Pines and firs, be certain which one your're dealing with.

Why pines ? There's masses of wild food out there just now, and pine nuts (stone pine, again it won't grow here) aside, they're all pretty much starvation food only.

Cheers

I'll look up the difference between pine and firs. . .

I havent really picked wild food before, wild strawberrys, black berrys and rasberrys are about it, so I'm trying to find easy to identify species, plus, pine smells so good I'm hoping it tastes just as good :)

cheers

ATB

Ogri the trog

Cheers, will try that

Jun 29, 2010
Bebington
Also I came accross this :/

Pine sap contains turpentine, a natural solvent, which can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, or mucous membranes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE