Pine Needle Tea, dissapointed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dynamite Dan

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 19, 2007
BlackBurn, Lancashire
So, i did my first Bushcraft thing, well kinda.

I went and got some pine needles, but wasnt sure which to gather as some were long and hard and dark green, and some were a lighter green but soft ish.

so i got both and took them home.

i chopped them up into lengths of about 2cm, put them in a cup and poured boiling water on them (i made two seperate cups, soft and hard needles)

After tying it, it seemed tasteless, just like very hot water.

I must admit i did have an after taste after finishing up, but i think it was a lot of work for such little result.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Hi Dan,

It needs leaving for a while to steep properly. Mind you it's not PG tips even then :D

However, it is a hot drink and it is rich in vitamin C which is handy. Also, if you happen to be stood in a pine forest by your fire with a pot of water on the boil there's very little work involved in making it.

Not a great picture, but it gives you an idea on the colour...
P1010159.JPG

Scoops

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I have made pine needle tea once. At the time i wasnt aware that the new needles are best to use and it ended up taisting rather odd. I'll have to make it again some time with new needles and see if there is much difference.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
The flavour is subtle, but it's definitely there and very refreshing it is too! You could chop them finer for a faster steeping time? I don't know if the effect would be that great.

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
try spruce or douglas fir i put in about 4 or 5 tips of 3in long ,leave um in for 5 or 10 mins and a bit of sugar.:D

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Thanx for mentioning Spruce Lupus, I have what I think is a blue spruce at the bottom of my garden and wanted to try a tea but wasn't sure of it's edibility.
Also , I've heard that its best to pick the new (very light green) tips for tea as their younger and less bitter/more juicy.

Thanx again looking forward to my first brew :)

Kev

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
found this thread enlightening thanks for launching it.
good info on the vit c content.
will be giving it a try soon

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
Tom, if i am not mistaken we say dennenaaldenthee in dutch, so that means only the varieties with double needles, unless im gettin cranky yew (taxus) has only one needle per implant.

not sure about the correct english translations but the way to remember the amount of needles on a tree was:

Spar ---- Solo (single needles on the branch)
Den ---- Duo (needles stick out 2 at a time)
Lariks --- Legio ( more then 2 needles set in small groups on the branches)

i am starting to wonder now if only "den" makes decent tea though

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Which one to make a tea from? Good question. If m life depended on having to drink a pine needle tea, I choose yew! I'd rather be dead!! I tried it once and thought it was absolutely disgusting, I can only imagine that is what Flash tastes like, and every time Isee Ray Mears drinking the damned stuff, I want to scream at the telly "It's crap!"

So I do! Sorry Ray and any other lovers of twig and leaf soup, it's just not for me!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
not sure about the correct english translations but the way to remember the amount of needles on a tree was:

Spar ---- Solo (single needles on the branch)
Den ---- Duo (needles stick out 2 at a time)
Lariks --- Legio ( more then 2 needles set in small groups on the branches)

I've heard a similar thing for English.

Spruce - single
Pine - Pair
Larch - Lots

I like pine needle tea - don't bother cutting them up, just stick them in water and boil them up for a nice while. Subtle flavour but warming and like others have said, lots of Vit C.

For a luxury touch, try the Jason Sears method of adding a little cinnamon......yummy...

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Tom, if i am not mistaken we say dennenaaldenthee in dutch, so that means only the varieties with double needles, unless im gettin cranky yew (taxus) has only one needle per implant.

Porcupine, you are totally right. It was just meant as a warning for people that are not so good at tree identification. It would be a bad mistake to make. I knew 'het ezelsbruggetje', it makes things very clear.

Tom

ps Ever tried porcu-pine tea?:D

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
hehe, not yet, i'd need to buy a bigger mug to fit a porcupine in it :lmao:

@dommyracer, thanks a bunch for that, much easier for me to get unconfused about english evergreen tree's now :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
This is the problem with just about all herbal tea-type things is that they smell great but are usually a let down when you actually drink them!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I agree with the views on pine needle tea - it's a bit bland but if you've nothing else warming all the same. My favourite is Yarrow tea and ground ivy, but ground ivy is strong so go easy on the leaves. I tried wild mint tea once and it knotted my stomach and made me feel sick. Maybe I overdid the mint, but I get the same stomach knotting if I drink regular black tea with no milk :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE