Pine Needle Basket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Just came across this on pintrest and thought that as I am still picking pine needles out of bits of my car from last years bushmoot it could be something to try this year. Anyone tried it? Results worthwhile?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They're lovely baskets, and quite peaceful to sit and make, but the originals were made using the very long pine needles in N.America, not our wee short ones, and the 'wrapping' cordage is, I found, the hardest bit to source. That said, you can just use raffia, and it works well.
Stuartf did some similar using a hollow bone to hold all the loose 'needles' in place before they were 'stitched' into place.

Have fun though :) and we'd like to see the results :cool:

cheers,
M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
As Toddy points out, pine needles vary in length, depending on species.
There's a Dene' woman in our village doing beadwork and needle baskets.
She gets Ponderosa Pine (Pinus ponderosa) needles from 500 miles south of here, some needles are 20-25cm long.

We lost most pine to Mountain Pine Beetle over the past decade or so. 18,000,000 ha dead and cracked.
Lodgepole Pine (P. contorta) needles are rarely more than 6cm long.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
As Toddy points out, pine needles vary in length, depending on species.
There's a Dene' woman in our village doing beadwork and needle baskets.
She gets Ponderosa Pine (Pinus ponderosa) needles from 500 miles south of here, some needles are 20-25cm long.

We lost most pine to Mountain Pine Beetle over the past decade or so. 18,000,000 ha dead and cracked.
Lodgepole Pine (P. contorta) needles are rarely more than 6cm long.

Thanks for the info. I did not know that they came in such large lengths

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Long pine needles are easy enough to buy online. I played a bit with it when I was on Teneriffe some years ago because they also have a variety of pine tree that produces pretty long needles. You can do the same sort of thing with all sorts of other materials though, dried iris leaves are good for example.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The biggest advantage of using the pine needles is that they are relatively stiff yet still pliable. That helps to give the baskets a rigidity that otherwise can only really be obtained by pretty much totally covering the coils with stitching.
Another alternative is to make softer material into cordage and then stitch those coils together.
The internet makes a brilliant search engine for examples of an enormously diverse range of coiled baskset :) When I first made them it was a puzzle in a conundrum until I sussed it out, now it's easy to find such an inspiring range of varieties :D

Recently folks have also begun to use sewing machines to make coil baskets. Soft (not plastic tube covered) washing line is wrapped with scraps of cloth and then zigzag stitched to hold the coils together.
http://www.crosswayspatch.co.uk/books/textile-coil-pots-and-baskets
I find them fun to make, pretty straightforward, and they come together quickly too. Good gift baskets, iimmc.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE