Pimp my tent!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I propose another competition, the thing is that I get something out of it too! :D Some of you may have seen that I have a new tent, Old Stinky, that I will be sleeping in tonight with my tribe in the garden! The poles that poke through the canvas are in need of pimping though, they have simple plastic balls that push on and they look a bit naff. So I propose that some bitchin' finials are carved that I could put on top to make my Carry on Camping tent the best one in the camp!

I have a Mora duo to give away, mainly due to a lack of use. No sheath for the larger knife as of yet, but I'll see if I can get something together before the knife goes to the eventual winner. The smaller knife is the triflex model in black handle with leather sheath and a ferro rod with a quick release doo dah, the larger is a good working knife that could be compared to a leuuku. Quite thin, but wickedly sharp.

0806140002.jpg

So, what is required are a matching pair of finials in wood to sit atop the tent along the ridgeline with an 11 mm hole in the bottom to accept the peg that pokes through from the tarp below. A couple of horses heads, or some gargoyles or wolves. Whatever you think will look great atop Old Stinky! The winners' finials will sit on the very top, but don't be down hearted if you don't win, there are other places to put the finials such as the awning at the front, the rear and the large window on the side! Here's a picture of the Blue Beast so that you can see what she looks like!

0806140001.jpg

I will put pictures up of all finials recieved and the vote will be made by members of the forums, in that way there is no ambiguity as to who has won and no doubt about fair play. Not sure how long to let this one run though, if it is three or four weeks then that will give plenty of time for finial carving and I can hopefully get some clothes on the big chopper!

If you're interested, put your name down and we'll see how it goes. Any comments on the run time of this are also welcome. I've put this in the traditional crafts section as it is carving and that seemed right, Mods to move if not please!

:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Two hours in and no takers?! Recap for those that may have speed read the last post, you could win two knives, a ferro rod with quick release doo dah and a leather sheath with a possible second sheath for the larger knife if I can get one cobbled together in time.

Come on, I know there are some great carvers out there!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, first night out in the tent was pretty cool! I heard two tawny owls, so there's an option for somebody to carve if anybody wants to enter. The kids were up at crack of dawn so I am now completely hooped! If truth be known, I went up to bed for a cheeky hours nap whilst they went to church to atone for their sins!

Good news is that the wife is interested in spending the night in it when our two eldestr kids go down south with my folks to see my younger brother, leaving us with the youngest! It won't be bushcraft in any sense of the word, this is gonna be Carry on Camping all the way, but it would be nice to have some lovely hand carved finials to put up on the camp site!

:D

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Love the tent, would look good at a Jousting Tornament :)
If the Comp is still active after three weeks I may be able to have a go when my shoulders back in action after an opp, I could call it Physio if the wife catches me.:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They are what normally top the ridge of old roofs, but these are for stopping rain water tracking down the pole that pokes through the canvas. The wooden figurine is wide enough at the base that any water runs straight onto canvas and away, saving the occupants from getting wet!

No idea what they are normally called for tents, sorry!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
They are what normally top the ridge of old roofs, but these are for stopping rain water tracking down the pole that pokes through the canvas. The wooden figurine is wide enough at the base that any water runs straight onto canvas and away, saving the occupants from getting wet!

No idea what they are normally called for tents, sorry!

They are normally called finials on tents. I'm in.

Eric

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's two then! Come on, isn't there any interest? don't be put off by the matching pairs thing, salt and pepper shakers come as a matching pair but they are often different to each other. As long as it can be seen that they go together, maybe with a story behind it, they'll do just fine. What better way to showcase your work and possibly win a great fire and cutting combo in the process?

Have I sold this competition enough yet? :D I'm cutting me own froat 'ere guv'nor!

xylaria

Not an entrant but with our "tent that taste forgot" I made a dukes of hazard hood orniment with two cow horns strapped together by thier ends. It was strapped to the top of the tent above the small awning. It was said all we needed was a musical doorbell. It was bit heavy in the wind though. It would be regarded as proper tasteful if your do camping in a elvis suit, but it matched the brown flowery nylon curtains and lairy decor. Old stinky looks pucca compared to the tent that taste forgot. Canvas 1960s tents are really good tents, I have seen our tent stay upright where modern family tents fall flat, rip, or blow away, and it feels windproof and warm.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Have you got a closing date in mind. It's been in the back of my mind to make a couple of Gargoyles for some years ago this looks like reason enough.

Would provision for the guys to attach to the Finials (like the Dollies on Patrol tents) be useful? Also what's the length of the pin that they sit on? There should be a bit of a gap between finial and canvas if I remember correctly?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE