Pignut hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Chiseller and I (along with Chiseller III) went on a bimble today in the hope of foraging some st George mushrooms. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be any about, however we did come across pignuts, and plenty of them.
Between us we dug up a couple each.

These were good eating.

This was my first attempt, a good 5 or 6 minutes digging and rooting around.
6uba3e4e.jpg

I was chuffed with my first pignut this year.... Until Chiseller crouched down and in about 15 seconds unearthed one which dwarfed mine....
esujepeq.jpg

I reckon if he'd had a digging stick, the blooming thing would have clawed it's way out of the soil and jumped into his hand.

touched by nature

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice one :D
I'm delighted to report that the seeds I sowed last year are sprouting in pots in the back garden :D and the ones I threw among the verges of the lane path are coming up among the ransoms too :cool:
All good stuff :)

M

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Those things don't grow in the Netherlands. Not in my part anyway. I've always wanted to eat one. Nice pictures.:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ehm, if we can send you seeds when they set ? the ones I missed last year even sprouted in the gravel path next to my pond :rolleyes:

Are they not part of the indigenous flora of your bit of the world though ?

cheers,
Toddy

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
You know Mary, sometimes you say something so totally practical that I have to question my mental faculties.
I remember finding pignuts as a kid (digging holes in the back field for putting practice weirdly enough) and its never occurred to me that I could just buy seeds for them.
Pignut seeds

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Ehm, if we can send you seeds when they set ? the ones I missed last year even sprouted in the gravel path next to my pond :rolleyes:

Are they not part of the indigenous flora of your bit of the world though ?

cheers,
Toddy

It's a extremely rare plant here, they only grow in a couple of reservations in the east of the Netherlands. (I live all the way down in the southeast.)

If you could send me seeds, I would be extremely grateful. It would make my bushcrafty life seriously better:D

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Not sat here grinning so hard my jowls are aching :lmao: good times in good company gdelth :beer:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Pignut is a plant that you need the permission of the landowner to dig up. If you don't it is illegal to do so.

Loki ......is that you brother ......:lmao:

Before jumping this thread.......its illegal to dig up any plant withouit the owners consent.
In this case.....we had my consent. I'm sure you can work it out Sh erlock ;-)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
*Jinx!* I did exactly the same thing last week and also, by coincidence, I was wearing the same pattern shirt as Mr Wright.
Didn't find any St Georges, not even at a known spot, but did find these. They're everywhere.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Bonus :thumbup:
I'll be checking my st Georges again today hopefully

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Hile_Troy

Need to contact Admin...
May 2, 2013
Stalybridge
Only started properly looking at my local flora and fauna over the last couple of weeks, and knock me down with a feather if I didn't find some pignuts after only a few days of mooching! Didn't dig them up because:
1/ Don't know who the land owner is so no permission
2/ They were not exactly thick on the ground, maybe four or five of them
3/ My dog was getting fed up with me poking around at stuff on the ground and not getting on the business of walking him
4/ Until I could consult the great oracle (the glorious internet) I wasn't sure of the ID

Properly chuffed with having found them though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE