Pick up some litter! Go on !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
That's a great idea. Me and my friends recently camped on a place called the sheepwash, and even though fires and camping are strictly prohibited, we left the place looking as it did when we found it. That's the golden rule as we all know. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for a group of stupid yobs listening to rave music in a nearby forest, who managed to litter a large area with cans and bottles. I did pick a few up, but there were just too many. Idiots.

K

karen

JoshG said:
a group of stupid yobs listening to rave music

Would just like to point out that not all people that listen to rave are yobs neither do we all leave litter everywhere, i think that you have to be careful not to tar everyone with the same brush. Im sure that you didnt mean to do this but thought i had better point this out.

Cheers

Karen

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
karen said:
Would just like to point out that not all people that listen to rave are yobs neither do we all leave litter everywhere, i think that you have to be careful not to tar everyone with the same brush. Im sure that you didnt mean to do this but thought i had better point this out.

Cheers

Karen
Not all rave fans are Yobs, but a high percentage of all Yobs are rave fans.
I'm sorry if I have offended you, but Townies/Yobs/Scallies, whatever you want to call them, they drive me nuts. I've taken enough crap off them over the years for my feelings to be pretty well justified.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
ilovemybed said:
My plant ecology Professor (who was eccentric to say the least...) used to tell us that we should deliberately go and litter the beach. His opinion was it would keep the tourists off which would help stop shore erosion, and improve the chances of dune growth as there was something more than sand for the plants to get hold of. He has a bit of a point - since they started a regular total clean-up of the beach (including natural detritus like seaweed and driftwood) the dunes at the West Sands of St. Andrews have receded a good few yards and are now seriously threatening to encroach on the Old Course (that may or may not be a good thing, depending on how you view golf...)

I assume, though, Tony, you just went for old nets, crisp packets and beer cans rather than everything on the beach...

I can see his point - problem is though that a lot of people are quite happy to sit amongst all the litter. After all if they drop it in the first place (people in general not just tourists!) it can't bother them too much! As you rightly point out the problem with clearing everything off the beach is that there is then little on which embryo dunes can form. This is the problem with using the beach cleaning machines. They tend to remove everything including natural debris.

At Merthyr Mawr its quite easy to see where dunes have formed on top of litter as it has trapped the sand. It is quite possible to find litter from the 1970's / 80's under the dunes. The problem comes when the dunes move and all the litter is exposed :(

Until someone can invent a machine that can remove litter but leave natural strandline material behind the best way is to clear the beach by hand.

The most demoralising thing however is no matter how much litter is cleared it can be back to the same mess in a couple of weeks.

Simple solution is not to drop the litter, and produce so much waste in the first place.

One other point (slightly off topic I know). Although the movement of the dunes and the removal of the beach strandline may be linked it may also be due to natural processes. Sand dunes do move over time and a healthy sand dune system needs mobile sand. I'll stop there as it would need a whole new thread to explain!

K

karen

JoshG said:
Not all rave fans are Yobs, but a high percentage of all Yobs are rave fans.
I'm sorry if I have offended you, but Townies/Yobs/Scallies, whatever you want to call them, they drive me nuts. I've taken enough crap off them over the years for my feelings to be pretty well justified.

I do feel ever so slightly offended as i am a "townie" and i do listen to rave! A yob is a yob wherever they come from and no matter what their interests.

We all take crap in our lives this does not mean that we are justified to tar everyone with the same brush and to assume that everyone is the same.

In the context of litter picking we are all responsible for this country being beautiful and the more inclusive we are the better. It is down to people like us to encourage not discourage!

Karen

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
karen said:
I do feel ever so slightly offended as i am a "townie" and i do listen to rave! A yob is a yob wherever they come from and no matter what their interests.

We all take crap in our lives this does not mean that we are justified to tar everyone with the same brush and to assume that everyone is the same.

In the context of litter picking we are all responsible for this country being beautiful and the more inclusive we are the better. It is down to people like us to encourage not discourage!

Karen
How are you a townie if you're not a sovereign ring wearing, over-reproducing, lambrini fuelled loud crazy moo?
That's my question :p

And another thing, real townies don't require me to tar them with the same brush. Incase you haven't noticed they do it themselves. :)

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
JoshG said:
How are you a townie if you're not a sovereign ring wearing, over-reproducing, lambrini fuelled loud crazy moo?
That's my question :p

And another thing, real townies don't require me to tar them with the same brush. Incase you haven't noticed they do it themselves. :)

Does Burberry gear automatically make you a chav? :D

e5n5om.jpg

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Lets face it, a high percentage of people in the UK (and before anyone falls out of their tree I am talking about a cross section of society - not just Chav's!) have very little regard for nature and the countryside. Sure, one could claim that people are becomming more environmentally aware but as Wolfie points out, we in the modern world produce to much pointless crap. The mongs who litter our land are merely the product of a cheap, wasteful and selfish society but before we hang them, shouldn't we set the dogs on directors of Tescos and alike first?

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
havingagiraffe said:
Does Burberry gear automatically make you a chav? :D

e5n5om.jpg
Hahaha, good one. :p
But seriously, everyone knows what a Chav is because they pigeonhole themsevles. Nobody wants them to walk around with their baseball caps at such an angle that it renders their very use obsolete, beating everyone up who hasn't got streed cred, like, nyarrr.

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
moko said:
Lets face it, a high percentage of people in the UK (and before anyone falls out of their tree I am talking about a cross section of society - not just Chav's!) have very little regard for nature and the countryside. Sure, one could claim that people are becomming more environmentally aware but as Wolfie points out, we in the modern world produce to much pointless crap. The mongs who litter our land are merely the product of a cheap, wasteful and selfish society but before we hang them, shouldn't we set the dogs on directors of Tescos and alike first?
Is it just me or are Tesco taking over the world?

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
If everyone did their share with litter, our countries would be much better off. I regularly carry a tall kitchen trash bag with me and collect trash on my hikes. Whenever I go to any body of water, I always walk the shoreline looking for fishing trash that people leave behind. I tote it out, separate the usable weights, hooks, swivels, etc. and drop the rest in a trash container.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
JoshG said:
Is it just me or are Tesco taking over the world?

Capitalism and bushcraft are diametrically opposed :confused:

Ecology is concerned with the long term aim of protecting the universe from mankind. Environmentalism is concerned with the long term aim of protecting mankind from the universe. Discuss. :rolleyes:

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
havingagiraffe said:
Capitalism and bushcraft are diametrically opposed :confused:

Ecology is concerned with the long term aim of protecting the universe from mankind. Environmentalism is concerned with the long term aim of protecting mankind from the universe. Discuss. :rolleyes:
Yes... smooth subject change...

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
As an archaeologist, My research base is trash. How many of you police your flakes after knapping? Those shellfish middens are pretty disgusting. And whats all that about Hastings? If I moved on from a rave party like those Saxons and Normans did the village constable would be all over me. :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE