Pick up some litter! Go on !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Thought I'd suggest this to all BCUK members, it's something my grandad taught me that I do to this day.

When you go out to the hills woods and moors etc, bring back one piece of litter with you should you come across it ( invariably theres always something whether it be a plastic bottle or a can etc ). It's just a gesture to the earth..for the joy we get we return the favour by removing the waste that members of our race have selfishly left there. If everyone did it there would be no litter in the country :)

Booosh

leon-1

The members of BCUK did exactly this on the last Dartmoor meet when we went upto Haytor, we retrieved the rubbish that someone had left from the BBQ they had had there and left all the rubbish to prove it behind:(, personally I think they should treat people like that like fly tippers.

ChrisKavanaugh said:
I have retrieved old mail in these middens identifying the guilty party. One was a prominent insurance agent. I walked in to his office,dumped it on his desk and explained he had left his 'property' at my workplace. :D

In Britain littering is a criminal offence.
If somebody is stupid enough to leave their mail amongst their rubbish then they deserve to be prosecuted. :D

I pick up other peoples crap every time i go walking in Thetford forrest :(

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
so basicly if you wanna nail someone you nick one of his pieces of post and add it to a landfill?

chances this happened are slim but even the possibility is food for thought. :eek:

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Some of the councils are now doing exactly that - rooting through fly tipped garbage and looking for addresses. Essentially, they're taking the attitude that if they find an address, the addressee must be guilty.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Just done my bit. Picked 25 black bin bags of rubbish from the saltmarsh at M Mawr today! Back again tomorrow to do same and then back again on Thursday to clear some of the beach!. :(

leon-1

Wolfie said:
Just done my bit. Picked 25 black bin bags of rubbish from the saltmarsh at M Mawr today! Back again tomorrow to do same and then back again on Thursday to clear some of the beach!. :(

It's a shame that you cannot close it off for a weekend and organise a beach clean once in a while, maybe do what Jeremy H has done with getting certification from the John Muir trust for regular participants.:)

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Aside from aesthetics, litter kills. Automotive antifreeze is a very sweet tasting fluid animals love. It is also toxic with no medical remedy. Alumium foil is also sweet tasting and animals chew it. Ingested, it irritates the intestinal lining and the animal dies a slow, agonizing death from starvation and severe pain. Tobacco waste is quantities can introduce enough nicotine to kill local plants. Those plastic connectors for 6 pack drinks have been discovered countless times with animals entangled or strangled in them. Even we equestrians are quilty, though indirectly. Improperly stored or disposed of manure near waterways can cause nitrate poisoning similar to that of overfertilisation and wipe out fish stocks. As to your correspondense being used against you, A. shred all address labels and B. recycle all paper. ;)

Wolfie said:

It's a shame that the local councils don't take a leaf out of the Spanish/French or Greek and have tractors that clean the beach every morning.

It's also a shame that people behave like pigs and throw their rubbish onto the floor without a care for the country or the planet :(

For such an advanced nation we seem to be the one of the filthiest.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Me the family and others (about 75 of them) cleaned a beach near us on Sat for 4 hours, we managed to get about 100 bin bags full, it was blowing a gale but worth it to give something back to the community and good for the kids to see some of their greater responsibility :D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Its good to hear other people doing there bit to keep the countryside tidy .... well done to all :)

Students here have got into the habbit of bringing an empty carrier bag with them to lessons and doing a litter pick on their way home..... normally beer cans which are put out for recycling.

Keep it up :D

Ed

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Tony said:
Me the family and others (about 75 of them) cleaned a beach near us on Sat for 4 hours, we managed to get about 100 bin bags full, it was blowing a gale but worth it to give something back to the community and good for the kids to see some of their greater responsibility :D

My plant ecology Professor (who was eccentric to say the least...) used to tell us that we should deliberately go and litter the beach. His opinion was it would keep the tourists off which would help stop shore erosion, and improve the chances of dune growth as there was something more than sand for the plants to get hold of. He has a bit of a point - since they started a regular total clean-up of the beach (including natural detritus like seaweed and driftwood) the dunes at the West Sands of St. Andrews have receded a good few yards and are now seriously threatening to encroach on the Old Course (that may or may not be a good thing, depending on how you view golf...)

To be fair on the fella, I don't think he meant to be taken literally, but he was illustrating that sometimes what appears to be well intentioned can sometimes have a worse effect that what is considered irresponsible.

I assume, though, Tony, you just went for old nets, crisp packets and beer cans rather than everything on the beach...

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
ChrisKavanaugh said:
I have retrieved old mail in these middens identifying the guilty party. One was a prominent insurance agent. I walked in to his office,dumped it on his desk and explained he had left his 'property' at my workplace. :D

YES!! That's the way to do it Chris.

Or do it Bill Bryson's way "if you see someone drop litter,kill them". :cool:

He seems to be such a nice man too. :)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
stotRE said:
It's also a shame that people behave like pigs and throw their rubbish onto the floor without a care for the country or the planet :(

For such an advanced nation we seem to be the one of the filthiest.

Sad but true.The answer is educating the young to respect nature.Unfortunately the energy required is going into meeting targets. :(

However one day we humans will be forced to consider our position,lets hope we don't leave it too long.

K

karen

A fantastic thing to be taught but just one thing that i feel i should say is that although keeping the countryside clean is a great thing surely we should pick up litter in towns too. I know that if i walk past a piece of litter, no matter whether it be in a town or the countryside i pick it up and put it in the nearest bin. The message to send out is DONT LITTER, full stop.

My hat goes off to anyone who goes out of their way to pick up litter and feel that more people should be considerate of the place they live or visit.

Anyway, thats my 2p worth

Cheers

karen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE