phytophthora - a warning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
Copied over from the Song of the Paddle website and I think that this could be very pertinent to those coming over to the Bushmoot

"phytophthora - a warning - Sorry to sound a bit portenteous, but this is something that needs to be known about and understood by all those who may be out and about and cutting live wood [even small branches], especially those who are doing a bit of brushcraft.

Phytophthora ram. has spread from the s west across the Bristol channel and into larch plantations in S Wales and is apparently heading north, following river valleys.

If you are in any forested areas please make sure that any edged tools you have have been properly sterilized from your last outing, or even between sites. Meths should do it, but I'm sure that someone here will have more up to date info.

I'm off an awareness workshop next Wednesday so if I have more info afterwards I'll post it to this thread.

Please folks, be aware. This is potentially very serious if not catastrophic, since P.ram. not only prefers larch [Japanese at the mo] to rhodedendron, but also is implicated in Sudden Oak Death [SOD] as well as Acute Oak Decline [AOD]. The consequences, if this gets out of control could make DED look like a dose of the common cold."

More information over at: http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=329

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE