Petzl LED ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
This question is along the lines of the other post `Maglight LED`

I have a Petzl Micro head torch that im thinking of changing to LED but am not sure of how too, do any of you guys know of any kits/links etc?

I fancy the Tikka plus but was wondering if I can do anything with this one. Might save me a few bob :)

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
i've got a tikka plus ( i won it on outdoorsmagic) and its a great little lamp. as for modding your micro, how many batteries does it take? that'll have a lot to do with it. try www.flashlightreviews.com they have a section on peoples own mods. failing that try www.candlepowerforums.com there is a whole section there on modifing lamps. there are people who sell the required electronics to use luxeon star led's in normal torches.(luxeon's are whats in the princton tec HL head lamp)
if you post a question on the cpf, i'm sure that some kind soul will have some advice
all the best
steve

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
ahh that would be the BD Ion then would it? tikka plus would have a tad more output i'd have thought (4 led's vs 2) however i have to admit they do look cool :cool:

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
That is a good price £15.

How does it weigh up in the field, does the battery last? Provide enough light/too much for close work? etc...

It does look a smashing tiny / weightless headlamp though, just wonder how it compares with the Petzl Tikka Plus. :-?

jakunen

Native
So far battery is holding up, but I've not had it all that long, although it has had a fair bit of usage (10 powercuts in 3 weeks :evil: ). Being an LED light, I'd expect it to last a fair time.
The clean blue-white light is quite powerful, and good for close work such as reading, rummaging around in the tent for stuff, and good for general walking around. It's very light, very comfortable. The batteries are fairly cheap (£1 from the asian discount 'flea market' stores (not sure if it's PC to phrase it like that but can't think of any other way...)).
Having used one of Womble's Petzls, the only real difference I've seen is the price, and I personally find it marginally more comfortable to wear than the Petzl.
Hope that helps...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE