People to Interview

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Guys and Girls - On the site in the 200 degrees section I am going to have a section for interviews, I have a short list of people I want to interview but I would appreciate any ideas from you guys. They need to have some sort of connection to the wilderness side of things but that is as you know a huge subject so to a point anything goes :biggthump IF you could give me names of people you would like to hear about/from and some explanation as to why them It would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
sez.....
There are links across the top of the home page :-D news, 200', reviews articles and community (which are these boards)

Tony... I'd love to see an interview with Hugh Fearnley-Whittinstall (The River Cottage guy for those that don't know). I believe you can contact him through channel 4..... but with a new series on TV... he is probably well booked..... or busy growing...cooking....

Ed

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
sez said:
Where's the 200 degrees section?

Sez

Is there a chance sez that you came straight in on a link from another forum and have not yet seen the site???? :yikes: click on the red leaf logo top left of the page and bask in further bushcraft enlightenment :rolmao: :biggthump :super: :rolmao:

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I'd suggest David Wescott. I mentioned three of the books he has edited in another post ("Camping in the Old Style" and so on) which are all published by Gibbs Smith. Being an American and so heavily involved with the primitive skills movement he might have a nicely different take on the outdoors to the one most of us here are familiar with. Presumably he can be contacted through the publisher, P.O. Box 667, Layton, Utah 84041 or www.gibbs-smith.com.

And rather more vaguely, it would be interesting to hear from someone who works somewhere extremely exposed to the elements day to day, maybe on one of our outlying islands. There are times when I think that a hobby like bushcraft can run the risk of becoming divorced from the simple practical roots from which it evolved, and I for one would love to hear about people using elements of such knowledge as a matter of course.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
at the risk of being a bit contraversial, it might be worth interviewing mike jarmain of cambrian survival. after the reports from his talks at the outdoor show, perhaps it might be worth getting him to clarify a few points. i did a course with them last year. it was excellent.

cheers, and.

S

sez

YES I did come here through a link, duh! I didn't think to make my mouse wander over the pictures.

I'd go for Hugh Fearnley-Whittinstall too, I think he's new series is pretty much a rehash of all the River Cottage programmes, and long before that he did that great series where he travelled around England and ate only what he could hunt, catch or gather.

Any interviews with people who had to cut off their own limbs in order to save their lives (there's a nine year old boy inside me trying to get out :-D ).

Sez

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Cody Lundin, who runs a survival school in Arizona, if memory serves. Backpacker magazine ran a feature on him a couple of years ago, and once you've seen a man set off into the desert armed with a loincloth and a gourd for water you cannot but think that you're carrying too much kit.

I also noticed an interview with Tom Brown and Larry Dean Olsen at this site http://www.primitive.org/interview.htm which probably saves the trouble of suggesting either of them.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
How about Ian Maxwell. he's the Zambian tracker who stepped in to run the tracking workshop on the Sunday of the Wilderness Gathering. Cornwall based now IIRC.

Justin

A

Anonymous

Hi Folks, They just gave me broadband at work so you may be hearing more from me....
Sorry to have missed the Zambian tracker at the wilderness gathering, I went to Tom Schorr Kons tracking thing on saturday morning, but didn't get to bed till 7.30 after a long night in the round house and a dawn patrol to see what was about.
Anyway, howabout interviewing Richard Maybe, The Author of Food for Free, one of the first on the subject I believe. He still does alot of writing, several nature books and of course the Flora Britanica. I think he's moved to Norfolk or Suffolk now, but contact through the publisher no doubt.
Cheers :roll:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Didn't know if I was just suggesting someone too obvious or high profile.

No offence or anything intended to anybody though, just being careful.

Dave

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
none taken :-D i think it would be really interesting to read about his background seeing as hes genned up on all sorts of stuff ,would be nice to know where he got it all from, i just read his world of survival book which was good, anybody know any good aborigine books about? cheers al

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
A second vote for Les Hiddins, and maybe an additional one for his hat. I seem to recall that he published a new book not so long ago, and so might well be interested in doing an interview.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'll vote for Les too, even though I found his shorts rather scary! :shock: :shock:

Watching his show triggered my need for a land rover too! He's got a lot to answer for :wink:

Dave

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Now, if it was scary shorts we were after I'd have suggested Steve Irwin, but I don't think the interview would have gone very far: "So Steve, are you a total loon or what?"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE