Pencil and rubber band ballistas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
After seeing a thread elsewhere in the forum (that I now can't find!), I got my Scouts to make these the other night.
pencil ballistas.jpg

mini ballista1.jpg
Sorry the photo quality isn't great. They absolutely loved making them. Their favourite part was trying to hit a tin can with small stones once they'd made them. It was one of those nights where once you start them off doing something you can't get them to stop and go home! I'd thoroughly recommend giving it a go.

We used small stones as ammunition (gravel from my garden). The distance fired varied, the shortest shot went straight up into the chin of the Scout firing it, the longest went about 20 feet. They would probably go further with a bit of tweaking but we ran out of time.

I would love to make a large scale version of one of these and maybe a trebuchet. Maybe something to consider as the next weapon for the NE Scotland meet. :) One thing I would like to make is the mechanisim for winding it back if its too heavy to pull by hand....rack and pinion I believe its called. Been a while since I did technical studies at school though.

Mountainm, yup you are right a Ballista is the giant crossbow, the ones pictured above are onagers or catapults as alot of people call them. The trebuchet is the large one with the counterweight... Edward I (Longshanks) tested a trebuchet (the largest ever one made and called War Wolf) out on Stirling Castle during the Wars of Independence in 1304, despite the Scots surrendering Edward continued to build and use Warwolf on the castle.

The Ballista: http://www.siege-engine.com/MistaBallista.shtml

PB070061.jpg

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
We make trebuchets with Explorer scouts, using pioneering poles. Buy/blag a huge pile of watermelons, and your in for a messy, hilarious time!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE