Pen fishing rods.com

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Any one got any experience of these mini fishing rod and reel combos? I know that there are cheap copies, but it is the bigger originals I am after "Goliath." and Extreme I think they are called.??

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
keep looking at them myself

some people seem to think they work but then again so does a line round a coke can....

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I bought one of the cheaper copies un knowingly about a year ago, but only tried it once and then mislaidbthe reel, and they do not supply reels on their own. The initial cost of transport at20 usd seems a bit steep for something so small , and there may be import charge on top of that. Just wondered if anyone was familiar with them, before taking the plunge?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Try these, I've seen someone fishing with one. Seemed pretty good (well for a fishing rod the size of a pen anyway :))!

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Corso, The thing is, small as they are, they are still a fishing rod, It is illegal in the UK to fish with other than a Rod and Line and as I would be after trout (Game Fish) I could have my car and any other accessories connected with the fishing Confiscated, should I be caught. The beer can idea is OK in Survival theory as would be "set lines" In game fishing it is illegal to lay down your rod with the baited hook in the water, I am sure that a lot of fishers do mot know that this law applies north of the border, and could get caught out unless they have tackle for course fishing on the line.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I have an original Pen rod and they are the dogs, hanging things. Get the fixed spool reel combo, best so far is an 8lb carp and lets say its was challenging but fun!

just make sure you get the pukka rod and reel, just remember its not a full size rod so treat it accordingly and don't lift large stuff out of the water use a landing net. Tight lines

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Try these, I've seen someone fishing with one. Seemed pretty good (well for a fishing rod the size of a pen anyway :))!

Woof mentioned these a few weeks ago on another forum, I think I'm going to try one at some point. I quite often end up next to rivers and small lochs and wish I had a rod with me.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Corso, The thing is, small as they are, they are still a fishing rod, It is illegal in the UK to fish with other than a Rod and Line and as I would be after trout (Game Fish) I could have my car and any other accessories connected with the fishing Confiscated, should I be caught. The beer can idea is OK in Survival theory as would be "set lines" In game fishing it is illegal to lay down your rod with the baited hook in the water, I am sure that a lot of fishers do mot know that this law applies north of the border, and could get caught out unless they have tackle for course fishing on the line.

fair enough - not sure a pen rod would stand up to trout? I was also thinking with my sea fishing hat on

These guys have helpful opinions

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/15466-Pen-fishing-rod-pack-fishing-rod

and

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Woof mentioned these a few weeks ago on another forum, I think I'm going to try one at some point. I quite often end up next to rivers and small lochs and wish I had a rod with me.

Im quite tempted myself but I've already got a stack of course fishing gear im not doing anything with. Still the compactness appeals...

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Bought an original Penrod from the States a couple of years ago, and also a cheaper copy from over here. The Penrod + reel is much better quality and to be honest theres no comparison.
Used them both regularly. Much prefer the Penrod. Found the Penrod firm good and straightforward to deal with. Didn't pay any import duties, thought the shipping costs reasonable and the package contained a personal note from the vendor.
HTH

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Thanks for the replies lads, food for thought. Cost of postage on top of the cost of the Kit is a bit off putting so I may go for the British option, To be honest I am no great fisher anyway. Cheers Stuart.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Sorry guy's, but as a lifelong angler stuff like this makes me "cringe"!!! get yourselves a decent "travel rod" or "telescopic rod" and enjoy fishing without fear of causing harm or losing fish!! As they say "A little knowledge is dangerous" !!!!! :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Sorry guy's, but as a lifelong angler stuff like this makes me "cringe"!!! get yourselves a decent "travel rod" or "telescopic rod" and enjoy fishing without fear of causing harm or losing fish!! As they say "A little knowledge is dangerous" !!!!! :)

Lifelong angler here too, hence the link to the emmrods, they seem to have a bit more of a pedigree. To be honest there was a time when I thought pole fishing with an elastic wasn't real fishing either...

Hang on...

I still think that! :p

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Lifelong angler here too, hence the link to the emmrods, they seem to have a bit more of a pedigree. To be honest there was a time when I thought pole fishing with an elastic wasn't real fishing either...

Hang on...

I still think that! :p

:lmao: :lmao: I'm a "running line" man through and through !!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE