Pelt care??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Just got a reindeer pelt of ebay. Now i wonder how to store it, carry it (in a rucksack liner?) and generally look after it?
Any pointers gratefully received!

66jj99

Dec 22, 2011
Bristol
Shake out often. Very often.

Hang it on a line often.

Allow air to get to the skin side too (don't keep it on the floor inside)

Roll it up hairy side in to carry. Simples

Definately store it unbagged, somewhere it can breathe.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Shake out often. Very often.

Hang it on a line often.

Allow air to get to the skin side too (don't keep it on the floor inside)

Roll it up hairy side in to carry. Simples

Definately store it unbagged, somewhere it can breathe.

Roll it up, hair inside and carry it lashed on to rucksack? In the rain?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Did the seller indicate if the pelt is for outdoor or indoor use?
Pelts for outdoor use have had the skinside treated with a water repelling agent.
Assuming this has NOT been done, carry it in a waterpoof bag ( binliner) and avoid it getting wet ( very heavy when wet).
Back home, dry out slowly in room temp, store in room temp, loosely rolled up but ideally on a flat. If kept on a floor, use one of those anti slide mats you have under an area rug on a wooden floor.

This because you can easily get condensation under the pelt, which will make the hairs fall out more.

I got the above info from a Swedish (Sami) company that specializes in tanning/ curing reindeer hides.
http://gealtan.se/produkter/renskinn.html

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Just watched a video where a nice young girl advocates NOT to buy hides from tourist shops but from people who only scraped and sundried the pelts. She proves this by grapping a few fingers of fur and pulls quite hard and no fur comes away

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I've got mine of flea bay, cheapish!! I guess I just use it and see what will happen. Sure, if i can help prolong its life, I would!! Seems you need a degree in reindeer hide science though. Thank you for all the pointers. Much appreciated and quite an interesting subject

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You can impregnate (‘waterproof’) the leather side using one of those sprays made for that soft, matt leather used in shoes.
( what do you call it in english - chamois?

The Sami I knew, all used cured skins that were fat infused.

Mr Morris777

Mar 2, 2019
Westland
I have put some Neatsfoot oil applied with a brush on the skin side of my pelts. Just more wheatherproof in damp conditions and I found mine getting very very dry.
Hope that helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE