Patrol Boxes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TimD

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011
Coulsdon
Hi,
We're a relatively new Scout Troop and haven't had the advantage of accrueing kit over decades like many.
On the plus side all the kit we've got so far is new and shiney but doesn't seem to have the 'durability' factor scouts seem the need.

All of our kit is currently stored centrally and I would like my patrols to start taking some ownership and care for their own patrol kit. Before I can do that I'd like to get some patrol boxes to keep it all together.
Wood is too heavy to make them out of so I'm looking at metal or plastic.

Does anyone on here know of a source of durable, light (ish) weight patrol boxes that are securely lockable?
Trying to fit minimum of a small bowsaw & Axe, a nest of billies, 5L dixes and washing up bowl (lots of other bits but they're all small and should cram into the gaps).

Any help or pointers to suppliers greatly appreciated.

Rgds,
Tim
4th Reigate SL

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
When I was a Scout many moons ago we used tea chests. They did not lock of course, but that was not a problem as they were either stored in a locked room or under the control of the patrol. I don't recall one ever failing and they stacked well in the store room and were light and tough.

Difficult to find these days, you could simulate them with a decent frame and marine ply and incorporate a lid and lock. Don't forget the ventilation, it always seemed to rain on annual camp.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I made my patrol boxes out of MDF but they are for general hold everything.
What I did was use the boxes as part of the DIY badge, four boxes with lids that are stackable with the bottom box having casters to it can be wheeled around with little effort.
These have lasted years and one day I will give them the final coat of scout green paint as they still have the primer coat atm.

why is wood to heavy ?? when i was a scout all the Boxes where big wooden ones with a solid lid they where a few years old in the 80's and are still going today

put several rope handles round it and even places to slot in a couple of wheels

simple teamwork of a patrol should manage that easily if they cant manage teamwork maybe a few lessons on that would help

ATB

Duncan

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
We had heavy wooden boxes with a hinged lid. Once at the camp you screwed legs on the sides using butterfly nuts and allowed you to use it as a larder/storage unit. They were a 2 scout carry (4 cub) fully loaded.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
why is wood to heavy ?? when i was a scout all the Boxes where big wooden ones with a solid lid they where a few years old in the 80's and are still going today

put several rope handles round it and even places to slot in a couple of wheels

simple teamwork of a patrol should manage that easily if they cant manage teamwork maybe a few lessons on that would help

ATB

Duncan

I'm with Duncan!

You could go one step further and make them build it themselves.....
(Give it to them in kit form)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...why is wood to heavy ??..."

Really, don't knock wooden boxes, here is a article about how to set about constructing a wannigan.

5AWGq.jpg

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE