Pathfinder stainless steel Bushpot (as at Hennie's) vs Mors alu: any thoughts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi,

I'd like to have a more featured pot than a zebra and I'm a big fan of Mors Kochanski's books and videos.

I've been looking into a Mors Pot from the US but am worried about import charges as I was stung badly a couple of years ago.

Some members have mentioned the Pathfinder Bushpot that seems to be a Mors in stainless. It's available from Hennies for about £40, with no Customs grief, so I'm considering it as a Christmas gift from myself to myself with all my love, or maybe from SWMBO if I'm lucky.

So, Mors alu or Pathfinder stainless?

Can anyone offer any insights or opinions (on this site! :rolleyes:) please?

All the best.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
To be honest I've got on with the mors pot so well I've not even considered getting the pathfinder one as I've no reason to replace a bit of kit that's served, and is still serving me very well :).

I don't really care wether it's stainless or ali, personally I'd take either and it doesn't concern me much if it's a well made lot to start with- there is a difference but it's not a huge gap like it can sometimes seem. I've got a zebra 14cm and I always take the mors pot so that settles enough for me.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ive had a devil of a job finding one of those.
what ya think of it Rich?

I really like it mate, it's a similar size to the titanium pots I use for backpacking so I could cook in it too if needed, so far it's just been a brew pot though. It's a similar thickness steel to the Zebras so fairly sturdy, the fold out handles need gloves if it's over a fire for long obviously, the bail arm is stiff enough to support itself if it's not being hung. It's probably a bit small for a lot of folk, it'd be a faff for rat packs I should imagine.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I've got both as I bought the Mors Pot then got the SS Bush Pot as a leaving gift from my last job. I've used both a fair bit and their excellent they knock the stripes off the Zebra pots! The 1.8 Litre size is very versatile for cooking, I've also used it for snow melting whilst snowholing which was great for getting brews on for the group.

The lid on the Mors Pot is a slightly better fit & generally stays on better because of it. As it goes outwards you can fit some stoves in that won't fit in the Bush Pot. The Bush Pot lid tends to pop off if you pack it tight where as the Mors Pot lid stays on. The lid on my Mors Pot is pretty beaten up already.
Having said that because the Bush Pot lid is recessed it would hold coals better if you we're baking. I don't think I would bake with the Mors Pot anyway as wouldn't want to ruin it.

If I was to choose between the two I would get the Bush Pot now. Its a bit more expensive but should last a lifetime, you also get the stove platform thingy I must admit I haven't used this but I might in future.

It's a shame neither pot has fluid measurements on the inside but that's how it is.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Like Limaed, I've got both but always reach for the S/S Bush pot, no matter what I'm doing. It is heavier (obviously) but is built to be used and used and used again. I use the Mors pot only if weight is going to be a real issue; that said, it's good to have it as a reserve or second pot for those more stationary, extended stays in the woods.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I have a mate who bought the pathfinder one and absolutely loves it
I suggested it to him specifically to avoid the sting of buyin the mors one and getting hit by customs

stainless woukd be preferable personally even if its heavier but I already have a mors pot

Thanks for your input.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I've got both as I bought the Mors Pot then got the SS Bush Pot as a leaving gift from my last job. I've used both a fair bit and their excellent they knock the stripes off the Zebra pots! The 1.8 Litre size is very versatile for cooking, I've also used it for snow melting whilst snowholing which was great for getting brews on for the group.

The lid on the Mors Pot is a slightly better fit & generally stays on better because of it. As it goes outwards you can fit some stoves in that won't fit in the Bush Pot. The Bush Pot lid tends to pop off if you pack it tight where as the Mors Pot lid stays on. The lid on my Mors Pot is pretty beaten up already.
Having said that because the Bush Pot lid is recessed it would hold coals better if you we're baking. I don't think I would bake with the Mors Pot anyway as wouldn't want to ruin it.

If I was to choose between the two I would get the Bush Pot now. Its a bit more expensive but should last a lifetime, you also get the stove platform thingy I must admit I haven't used this but I might in future.

It's a shame neither pot has fluid measurements on the inside but that's how it is.

Thanks very much. It's so useful if someone has had both and used them. You are confirming some of the other points plus info from online reviews of the Pathfinder model.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Like Limaed, I've got both but always reach for the S/S Bush pot, no matter what I'm doing. It is heavier (obviously) but is built to be used and used and used again. I use the Mors pot only if weight is going to be a real issue; that said, it's good to have it as a reserve or second pot for those more stationary, extended stays in the woods.

Thanks for the post. Both of you who've used both models seem to be swaying me. I appreciate the input.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
To be honest I've got on with the mors pot so well I've not even considered getting the pathfinder one as I've no reason to replace a bit of kit that's served, and is still serving me very well :).

I don't really care wether it's stainless or ali, personally I'd take either and it doesn't concern me much if it's a well made lot to start with- there is a difference but it's not a huge gap like it can sometimes seem. I've got a zebra 14cm and I always take the mors pot so that settles enough for me.

Thanks for that. I agree that good kit doesn't need replacing just for the sake of getting new stuff. I'm still at the stage of trying to choose what I think will be a major improvement on the zebra.

garethw

Settler
Best pot I've got is the 1.6L Tatonka Stainless kettle... (no idea why they call it a kettle?) I keep it in my car with a small stainless kettle (tea type) nested in it, a pot grabber and a folding cutlery set.... all in a small stuff sack.
It's the perfect size for fishing and over night cooking. Along with my Crusader cup its all I need to do even a pretty elaborate meal. I hardly ever use my Zebra as its too tall ans narrow for most cooking.

cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE