Pastimes around the campfire?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
W

WNZer

Funnily enough, I just like to poke at the fire and look into the flames, like a Neanderthal once would have, really puts time and history in perspective for me, so yeah, just daydreaming, :eek:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think there is something of a natural storyteller in all of us that the fire brings out.

For some it is just an anecdote, or a joke, for others it can be stories learned and passed on with care.

I've also been known to join in with a song or two if the local foundations look strong enough.. :D

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
My rendition of Gwain and the Green Knight holds the attention scouts, cubs and beavers at camp. At the last one I managed to keep two groups, about 100 kids, silent for half an hour (no mean feat ;) )

My other favorite is The Lampton Worm :eek:

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I like to listen to a bit of shamanic drumming or a digeridoo played softly . Mind you a good yarn is enjoyable too . Its the singing that i am not keen on , the old man was a scout leader so i tend to keep well away from scout type stuff .
I do love tribal music though :D
Carving something is good too , if you can see well enough (first aid by fire light aint all that easy !!)
Pumbaa

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
pumbaa said:
Its the singing that i am not keen on , the old man was a scout leader so i tend to keep well away from scout type stuff .
Pumbaa

You do NOT want to hear my singing :aargh4:

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
For me it depends on the company, but often sitting around a campfire is time spent in quiet reflection. There's nothing more relaxing than staring into the flames enjoying the light and warmth. I'm convinced it's genetically programmed into all of us.

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
led said:
For me it depends on the company, but often sitting around a campfire is time spent in quiet reflection. There's nothing more relaxing than staring into the flames enjoying the light and warmth. I'm convinced it's genetically programmed into all of us.
I completely agree, there is some sort of absolute satisfaction in being next to a fire in the outdoors that I also think has been inherited through hundreds of thousands of generations. I love to just stare into the flames and reflect, but other times I like to chit-chat, it does depend on company and how you're feeling and so forth, but either way being round a fire is a great thing.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the company, a full tummy, something warm (or mellow ;) ) to drink and my hands busy. Braiding, preparing cordage or netting all work for me. Sewing only if the light is *very* good or I really need it done.
I like heavy metal but enjoy a good voice & traditional instruments around the fire, no radios/cd's please.
If you get a *storyteller* in the group, that's just brilliant :D

Cheers,
Toddy

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
All of the above! :D

I'm usually by myself, but I do enjoy having company at the fire. Story telling, sharing a hot brew, soft drumming/singing, telling lies (oops, falls under story telling) :lmao:, getting to know new friends, poking the fire and looking for stories in the flames. It's all good.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Graham_S said:
you never struck me as a headbanger :lmao: :lmao:

I think it's a generational thing, my sons are *so* embarassed by my taste in music, Heavy metal/hard rock just has something *primal* about it, somehow it makes me pay attention. Quite visceral :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music
But then I like a lot of the Pagan Rock bands too, and who is the black opera singer with the fantastic hair-raising-up-your spine voice? Kind of like sub harmonics they really echo into the stone age and the *pan*ic.
Okay, I'll be a good girl now and be quiet about such things ;)
Cheers,
Toddy

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Sitting by the fire of an evening listening to the crackle and spit of the wood as it burns, listening to the sounds of the surrounding environment as the day-dwellers settle in for the night and the night-dwellers begin to go about their business. The breeze in the tree tops and the soft melody of a nearby stream. All these things are wonderful to hear as you settle down with a brew and let the day draw to close. If feeling active around the fire of an evening you can always do some whittling. You know, spoons, utensils, bits and bobs, Did I leave the gas on at home? Have I paid the milkman this month? Did I remember to setlle the credit card statement on time? I hope no-one outbid me on E-bay for that knife I want..... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE